Career Development Conference and VCU Staff Senate Employee Appreciation Week
The 2020 career development conference is scheduled for Thursday, March 12, 2020. This year’s theme is “Quest for the Best”! Please join us for an exciting day of career development.
The VCU Staff Senate and VCU Human Resources are partnering to present this event, allowing colleagues to network and explore valuable learning opportunities. There are two options for participants – a morning and afternoon series. The session are the same in the series, one from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or another from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
The conference offers a career communities expo, the Staff Senate Awards for Excellence, breakout sessions. Breakout sessions will cover topics like service excellence, diversity and inclusion, health and wellness, integrity, student engagement, fostering collaborative environments, and leadership.
The keynote speaker Rodney Robinson, 2019 National Teacher of the Year and a 2019 VCU Alumni Star. Robinson teaches history at Virgie Binford Education Center, a Richmond Public School serving children in the juvenile detention system. Robinson will discuss the power of motivation, tenacity and having support in our careers.
Register for the conference at staffsenateconference.vcu.edu. Please continue to check the site for continuous updates.
We also have great volunteer opportunities available on the day of the conference, if interested, sign up here. This year we’re offering volunteer training sessions to better prepare volunteers for the day of the conference. Respond by Friday, March 6.
We are fast approaching this year’s VCU Staff Senate Employee Appreciation Week, which will be held during spring break (March 9-13) and will feature the Quest for the Best 2020 Staff Professional Development Day Conference, week-long discounts for VCU and VCU Health staff, and our annual coffee and donut days!
Print this linked poster you can share with your colleagues to help get the word out.
4th Annual Staff Senate Employee Appreciation Week
This year we have a ton of events and discounts that you can take part in and enjoy!
Annual Coffee and Donuts:
- Monday, March 9th – 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM – (MPC) – University Student Commons at the Common Theater’s Concession Stand. Donuts & Coffee Days! Grab a donut or two to go, a cup of hot coffee or tea, and learn about resources for staff on campus: employee wellness, safety and alumni information.
- Tuesday, March 10th – 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM – (MCV) – Hunton Student Center -1st Floor Seating Area. Donuts & Coffee Days! Grab a donut or two to go, a cup of hot coffee or tea, and learn about resources for staff on campus: employee wellness, safety and alumni information.
2020 Career Development Day Conference:
- Thursday, March 12th – Visit our Career Development Day Conference website to register for the event and learn about the sessions being offered.
- The Staff Senate Awards for Excellence will be announced at the conference at the welcome of both the morning and afternoon conference sessions. (Awards will be presented at a later date during a special ceremony honoring the nominees and winners.)
VCU Library Tours:
Take a guided tour of either Cabell Library OR Tompkins McCaw Library at the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, March 11th at Noon (Both libraries)
- Thursday, March 12th at 4:15 PM (Cabell Library Only)
- Friday, March 13th at 10 AM (Both libraries)
- No registration required, just meet at the front desk of either library on all dates and times. Tours will last approximately 30 minutes.
Virginia State Capitol Tours:
Take a guided tour of the Virginia State Capitol on the either of the following dates below. Space is limited to a maximum of 50 people per tour date, sign-ups will be taken first come-first serve:
- Wednesday, March 11th from 1:00 PM-2:00 PM
- Friday, March 13th from 1:00 PM-2:00 PM
- Registration required in advance: Registration Form
Discounts for Employees:
This year we have plenty of discounts offered for Employee Appreciation week!
Please have your VCU or VCU Health Staff ID ready to present for the following locations and offers:
- VCU Dining:
- 20% off all VCU Dine locations, see hours and participating locations for the week of Spring Break on the VCU Dine Website.
- Barnes & Noble:
- 15% off VCU gifts/clothing & general books. Both MPC & MCV campus hours will be Sunday 12-4pm, Monday-Saturday 10-4pm.
- 25% off of VCU gear (includes branded Apple Watch bands)
- 15% off of 3rd party accessories
- Rec Sports:
- Provide complimentary week-long access to employees that do not currently have a Rec Sports membership.
- Provide complimentary week-long access to an employee’s partner or spouse (limit one per employee).
- Offer discounted annual term membership (12 months) for $221.00 down from $260.00.
- Offer member discount on massage therapy for $50.00 down from $65.00. *Must schedule an appointment during employee appreciation week*
- *Individuals must register and pay for massage therapy services during the Employee Appreciation Week; however, the services do not need to be provided during the Employee Appreciation Week (appointment times are posted 30 days in advance). Don’t want a membership? Faculty/Staff non-member pricing ($65) is available by contacting Rec Sports.
- In order to access the employee appreciation week passes, employees must sign up, in person, at either of our membership locations during office hours:
- Cary Street Gym (101 S. Linden Street)
- MCV Campus Recreation And Aquatic Center (900 Turpin Street)
- Roots Natural Kitchen (939 W. Grace St):
- 20% off the entire week!
Thank you for everything you do to make VCU a great place to work. We are grateful for all the ways in which you serve VCU every day by providing opportunities and support for students to learn and succeed, by providing support to faculty to develop programs and curriculum for our students, by caring for our patients to ensure their well-being, and by supporting each other. Thank you for your commitment to VCU’s and our employees’ success.
-President Rao and VCU Staff Senate
To learn more, visit VCU Staff Senate online at: staffsenate.vcu.edu/