VCU RamStrong Well-being blog

Giving VCU employees the wellness resources they need to be healthy both on and off campus

Happiness is a lifelong pursuit—but it’s always top of mind at the start of a new year. As part of our Happiness Revival Guide, we surveyed 18 leading happiness experts about their daily habits, how they cope with bad times, and more. Their responses revealed strategies we can all use to boost our spirits. Some of my favorite takeaways include:

• Spending quality time with friends and family is paramount. The experts we surveyed did this at least once a week, and many gathered socially three to four times a week. Consider that your cue to reach out and make some plans.
  • Getting out into nature is key. More than half of experts reported doing so at least three times a week—which has inspired me to lace up my sneakers and get outside for a walk, even when it’s cold.
  • It’s crucial to acknowledge your negative emotions, rather than suppress them. That surprised me, but it’s a good reminder that happiness is “not a yellow smiley face,” as one expert put it.

READ THE STORY.