Phishing Net

Phishing Scams and Schemes Unveiled

The following is a scam in which the scammer is posing as a bank official (HSBC in this case) where they are using a variant of, your rich relative, which you didn’t know existed, has passed recently and left a ton of money for you.

This particular scam attempts to legitimize themselves by providing a link to a Bloomberg profile. The scammer offers an alternative way to contact them and says they will provide ID verification once they’ve heard back from the victim.

This is a scam in which the scammer will provide a check, and ask that the victim send some of that money over to another person who needs to be paid. The check is fraudulent and will bounce, but the money that the victim shelled out will still be taken from the account.

Do not fall for this scam! If you have received and email like this please forward it to infosec@vcu.edu and ignore it.
——————————————————————————-
From: Mary Currie [marycurriieo@msn.com]
Date: Mon, May 20, 2019 at 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Victim’s Name
To: Victim [victim@vcu.edu]

Dear Victim,

Thanks for your response. I am Ms. Mary Kathleen Currie Executive Officer of the Prudential Regulation Authority and also one of the Managing Director at HSBC Investments (UK) Ltd.

I am contacting you concerning a deceased customer and an investment he placed with our bank management some years ago. The content of this communication has to be treated with utmost confidentiality, to avoid unnecessary complications.

Please before I proceed further and let you have all the details, I will appreciate if you can confirm your name and last name as well your direct number; this is to ensure that I am dealing with the right person.

Meanwhile Due to what is going on worldwide via the internet, to clear your doubt about me, please check my biography from the below link.

https://www.bloomberg.com/ [Link Redacted]

Let me know if it is okay for us to talk over the phone, You can also contact me on my private line [Phone # Redacted], Add me on the what’s-App preferably. Once you establish your willingness and readiness to work with me, I will be contacting you from my official email address with my signature as well, also with time, I promise to send you my proof of identification.

Please confirm the receipt of this email so I can forward you more details.

I await your swift response.

Best Regards,
Ms. Mary Kathleen Currie