Web Services

Application Services | Technology Services

User uploaded custom header image

VCU FileDropVCU FileDrop is a simple service for sending large files (or large batches of files) to others via email. You can send files up to 1 GB in size to anyone with a valid email address (whether they have a VCU email address or not). Your files will be available for download to your selected recipients for 2 weeks, at which point the files will be deleted. You can keep track of who has downloaded the files you’ve sent, and be notified when all of your recipients have downloaded the files you’ve sent. If necessary, you can even resend the emails or delete the files early.
To download files through FileDrop, all you need to do is enter your email address and the unique passcode that was emailed to you. Clicking on a file (no matter what the filetype) will save the file to your computer.
We hope you find this service useful. Feel free to leave us any suggestions for improvements. Read more about VCU FileDrop »

Categories Applications, Web

Comments

Thanks for making this service available. As Photo Editor for VCU Creative Services I often need to send large files to clients. I had been using Yousendit but this non-subscription service limits me to one image at a time. The one thing I’ve noticed is that the Filedrop system will not accept an “@mcvh-vcu.edu” address. I can get around it, it seems so far, by truncating the address to “@vcu.edu” but it would be more convenient to use my email addresses as they appear in my contact list or address book (I am on a Mac).
Thanks.

Thanks Kevin. I’ve updated the email validation so it *should* now allow mcvh-vcu.edu addresses. Please let me know if you have any more issues.

This is a great idea; I’ve often wanted something like it for exchanging large files, and it might help to move some pressure off of the email systems. A couple of questions:
1) What types of data can this handle? Sensitive? Confidential? HIPAA/ePHI? FERPA data? Or none of the above?
2) Are there any plans to increase the file size limit? I recently had a person who wanted to send a 4GB zipped file; I would love to see a 10GB limit. Is that at all likely?