What are “standards” and how to get them
Standards are documents detailing specifications researchers adhere to in designing new products, systems and processes in order to ensure minimum performance stipulations, safety, consistency and repeatability.
VCU Libraries can provide digital copies of standards usually within one hour of a patron making the request. This standards-on-demand program uses a vendor that supplies standards from organizations and societies including:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI);
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE);
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME);
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE International);
- International Organization for Standardization ISO.
In addition, American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Digital Library and IEEE Xplore provide thousands of standards from their respective organizations, and VCU Libraries provides access to these standards without a wait.
How to request standards
Students, faculty and staff can contact Ibironke Lawal (804) 828-8739 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Ibironke Lawal, science and engineering collections librarian
Image: Prototype kilogram replica, Japs 88, Wikimedia Commons