Celebrating Six Long-time Employees During COVID-19
Six long-time VCU Libraries employees have recently retired or will shortly be retiring:
- Pam Fraga, administrative office director
- Mary Jane (MJ) Green, Tompkins-McCaw Library service desk coordinator
- Diana Lively, library technician
- Thelma Mack, research and education coordinator
- Anita Mallory, acquisitions order manager
- John Ulmschneider, dean of libraries and university librarian
An in-person celebration is, unfortunately, not possible right now, but the need to recognize these retirees for their service remains.
Rather than host a potentially large, chaotic, and ultimately unsatisfying Zoom session for everyone, we’ve opted to create a kind of virtual retirement celebration package. For each retiree, we’re:
- Creating a virtual card including messages gathered from past and present library employees.
- Placing an electronic book plate on the catalog record of a book of their choosing.
Each retiree’s division will also host a Zoom celebration for the division and any guests the retiree wants to invite.
We regret that we can’t do more right now, but we hope that in the not-too-distant future, we’ll be able to host an in-person gathering of some kind where we can honor all the retirees and their contributions.
For now, congratulations to our retirees! We’ll miss you, and we wish you well in this new chapter.