VCU Center for Corporate Education

Transformational change starts here. Join us.

User uploaded custom header image

We’re keeping up the pace with highlighting members of our Family Business Forum in an interview series that asks local family-owned businesses what makes them tick and brings them to participate in the forum, held at VCU School of Business and coordinated by The Center for Corporate Education.

This time around, we traded thoughts with Kattie Nichols from Handcraft Cleaners.

In a few sentences, describe your family business.

My grandfather started it as a dry cleaning industry but realized an opportunity early on that it could be more than that.  My father and two uncles are the current owners of has now turned to a healthcare linen service industry. We provide, clean, deliver, and pick up linen at hospitals and retail medical facilities through Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina.

What role do you play in your family business?

I am the safety coordinator for the company, making sure policies and procedures are being kept up to date as well as making sure employees are using the best safety practices while on the job.

Why do you participate in the VCU Family Business Forum?

I think Richmond has an amazing community and being very new to my current role, I enjoy the opportunity to make and develop relationships with other family businesses that could provide some insight and guidance to being a member in a family company.

Describe a “lightbulb” moment you’ve had that has helped your family business.

I think having more events for the employees has been an eye-opener.  It makes the employees feel appreciated and allows for more employee engagement.  Since I started we have been going to Richmond Flying Squirrels games, VCU basketball games, having a Halloween costume contest, and even hosting a social night at a brewery.  Although not “work” related, the employees seem to appreciate it.

Tagged , , ,