VCUQatar’s ‘Appliqué’ show displays fashion design talents
Showing May 12-14.
Video of fashion collections by students from Virginia Commonwealth University’s “Appliqué”, the two-day fashion show (April 12 and 13) at VCUQatar, is featured on the Cabell Screen through Commencement Week exhibits and throughout the summer.
This unique show, which featured the collections of 22 sophomore, junior and senior fashion students, was opened by Sandra Wilkins, VCUQatar’s chair of fashion design, who explained that the title of this year’s fashion show was “Appliqué.” The title depicts the building of talents and skillsets, while showcasing the ability of students to take a concept all the way through to completion.
She also described how important the show is both for the students and for Qatar’s fashion design industry. The emphasis for students is turning creative concepts into ready-to-wear pieces. These pieces not only had to be beautiful, but also wearable and marketable. Fashion professionals, especially retailers, are invited each year to review the collections and concepts and give their expert advice to the students.
- Ahmed El Sayed, the co-founder of House of Nomad and VCUQatar alumnus, was the guest designer for the show, where his most recent collection was presented.
- The Salam Fashion Award was presented to Radheya Visperas. The award includes mentoring in the development and design of collections that will be sold exclusively within a dedicated space in Salam Stores, Doha. Designs by the previous winner, Mahnoor Ansari, are currently on sale at Salam Stores at the Gate Mall.
- The W Doha Award went to Sarah Al-Abdulghani, and the GLAM award went to Sarah Al-Abdulghani and Samyah Abou Rahma.
- VCUQatar’s , which goes to the best Senior Collection, was awarded to Samyah Abou Rahma.
- The award for Most Outstanding Junior Collection went to Fatima Al-Khulaifi. The award for Most Outstanding Sophomore Collection went to Heidi Rashad.
- The award for Outstanding Senior with Highest GPA went to Radheya Visperas. The award for Outstanding Junior with Highest GPA went to Alia Al-Sowaidi. The award for Outstanding Junior with Highest GPA went to Sreehitha Saini. The award for Outstanding Sophomore with Highest GPA went to Heidi Rashad.
- The Guest Designer Award went to Ahmed El Sayed from House of Nomad.
- Awards were also given to Deborah Sedlacek, Joshua Bigelow, Skyler Crawford and Lydia Critchfield from VCU’s home campus in Richmond for their Senior Collections, which were shown at the event.
A version of this article was published April 17, 2017 by the news office of VCUQatar.
Categories Community, Qatar, Student Work