The Office of Faculty Affairs at the VCU School of Medicine approaches Faculty Development in five content areas: TEACH, DISCOVER, SERVE, ADVANCE, and LEAD. View the specific competencies for each content area at this link: Competency-based Approach to Faculty Development
Promotion and Tenure
To aid faculty in planning and preparing the application for promotion and tenure, the Office of Faculty Affairs has listed important documents below as well as recorded an informational video in Kaltura.
- Resources for Faculty
- Checklist – documents required in your packet
- Opening Letter – introduction to the P&T process, sent to all faculty
- Information Sheet – general guidelines, sent to all faculty with the opening letter
- Narrative v. biosketch breakdown – what to include with examples
- Teaching Portfolio – details about documentation and what to include
- Self-Assessment Worksheets – use these documents to reflect on areas for professional development
- Resources for Administrators
- Administrators PPT – outlining how administrators or coordinators can assist in the process
- Reference Letter Request Template – potential wording to request references
- Evaluator Table – for recording letters of recommendation
- Peer Signature Page – also available in DocuSign, used after the committee is formed and has met.
- Chair Signature Page – all departments should use this document once the Peer Signature page has been completed by the committee.
- Online voting PPT – if voting during a Zoom meeting, follow these steps to set up anonymous voting.
- Video and Sections