VCU Parking and Transportation Receives LEEP Award
VCU Parking and Transportation
VCU Parking and Transportation Receives 2017 LEEP Award for Achievement in Energy Efficiency
Annual LEEP awards honors organizations for cutting energy use in parking facilities
Richmond, VA – (November 9, 2017) – On October 20, Virginia Commonwealth University was announced as a 2017 Lighting Energy Efficiency in Parking (LEEP) Campaign award winner at the annual International Facility Management Association (IFMA) World Workplace Conference and Expo. VCU Parking and Transportation’s recent lighting upgrade of the Jefferson Street Parking Deck earned the designation of “Exemplary Higher Education Sector Parking Facility.”
The LEEP program is a collaboration between the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), Building Owners and Managers Association International (BOMA), IFMA and International Parking Institute in conjunction with the Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance. VCU was one of 15 winners recognized for achieving exceptional energy reductions in parking facilities through high-efficiency lighting and controls.
In 2016, VCU Parking and Transportation worked in partnership with VCU Facilities Management and Kenall Manufacturing to retrofit both the Jefferson Street Deck and West Broad Street Deck with more than 500 new 49-wattage LED luminaries. The Jefferson Street Deck lighting retrofit has achieved a 73% energy savings when compared to its previous usage. This conservation of 369,000 kWh is the equivalent to the average yearly use of 34 U.S. homes, and yields $38,000 in annual electricity savings for the university.
“We have a vested interest in enhancing our facilities’ lighting efficiency.” “ Not only do we improve the parking experience, but are able to conserve resources as well. We look forward to the opportunity to retrofit additional parking facilities in the near future,” said Clayton Harrington, director for Parking and Transportation.
The full list of 2017 LEEP Campaign winners include:
- Alexandria City Public Schools – Exemplary Municipal Sector Parking Facility
- Brixmor Property Group – Highest Annual Energy Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Lot and Highest Percentage Energy Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Lot
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives National Laboratory and Fire Research Center – Exemplary Federal Sector Parking Facility
- The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. – Exemplary Office/Industrial Sector Parking Facility
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis – Exemplary Higher Education Sector Parking Facility
- Kimco Realty Corporation – Largest Number of Facility Upgrades, Largest Area of Facility Upgrades, and Largest Portfolio-wide Annual Absolute Energy Savings
- Mayo Clinic – Exemplary Healthcare Sector Parking Facility and Highest Percentage Energy Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Structure
- MC Realty Group LLC – Highest Percentage Energy Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Structure and Highest Percentage Energy Savings in a New Construction at a Single Parking Structure
- Nellis Air Force Base – Exemplary Federal Sector Parking Facility
- Pittsburgh Sports and Exhibition Authority – Best Use of Lighting Controls in a Single Facility, Highest Annual Energy Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Structure, and Highest Percentage Energy Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Structure
- University of Alberta-Facilities & Operations – Exemplary Higher Education Sector Parking Facility
- University of Oklahoma – Highest Annual Energy Savings in New Construction at a Single Parking Structure
- Virginia Commonwealth University – Exemplary Higher Education Sector Parking Facility
- Welltower Inc. – Exemplary Healthcare Sector Parking Facility
- Yamaha Motor Corporation – Exemplary Office/Industrial Sector Parking Facility