The VCU Staff Senate presented Alice Chambliss with the Guiding Star Award for Career Achievement at a ceremony May 25. The award is given to a long-serving staff member — at least 25 years — who dedicated the vast majority of their professional career to providing exemplary support or service to the VCU community. Awardees will be individuals who have provided, direct support or service in an administrative, front line or service position. Chambliss is a network analyst at VCU Libraries.

The award includes a $500 monetary award, a certificate and trophy and letters of recognition to the VCU President and the department head of the honoree.

“I am humbled to receive this award acknowledge that I could not have won this award without the support of my VCU teams,” Chambliss said.

“I thank God for my career at VCU starting at the Computer Center, Network Services, to my current position at VCU Libraries. I want to thank my VCU Libraries team for always supporting and encouraging me throughout my career: John Duke, Jimmy Ghaphery, Tom McNulty, Will Bailey, and the rest of the VCU Team. I really appreciate my work family at VCU.”

The nomination of Alice Chambliss cited her deep impact in managing and mastering technologies that serve the campus community. Wrote Jimmy Ghaphery, Associate Dean for Scholarly Communications and Publishing at VCU Libraries: “Her work ethic and organizational skills have been key to the VCU Libraries’ growth as one of the leading research libraries in the country. She has been closely involved in almost every major library project including early adopter migration to the Alma library system, expansion of Cabell and Health Sciences Libraries, migration from Novell to Active Directory, migration to secure networking, management of expanded digital storage needs, and an early adopter of the Google productivity suite. In all of these projects Ms. Chambliss has been a collegial ambassador between Technology Services, library IT vendors, and our community of staff, students, and faculty.”

Ghaphery also lauded Ms. Chambliss for an impressive record of mentoring VCU student employees over the years. “She has contributed to their ability to find career opportunities after graduation in a variety of professions connected to their field of study.”

Categories Awards and Honors, Faculty/Staff, Librarians at Work, News