VCU’s medical librarians share knowledge with national network
During a library site visit from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region (NNLM SEA) office in 2018 Director Tony Nguyen and Executive Director M.J. Tooey met with librarians from Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences.
Site visits like this are common and allow VCU to showcase to the NNLM SEA the work the library is doing to support local and regional efforts by providing access to high-quality health information.
During the site visit, librarians provided overviews of activities in their expertise areas and shared recent success stories. These sharing sessions sparked interest and discussion with the NNLM SEA visitors who asked the VCU librarians if they would be willing to share their experiences more broadly with other librarians.
In response, librarians from VCU created one-hour webinars that were presented as part of the Beyond the SEA and SEASide webinar series. Webinars took place throughout 2019 and recordings are available. Presenters, titles, brief descriptions, attendance numbers, and links to recordings are below.
- Roy Brown: A Nursing Liaison’s Role in Evidence-Based Practice. This webinar situates evidence-based practice in modern healthcare, describes how it has become central to nursing practice and focuses on identifying key roles and strategies librarians can employ to support nurses in applying evidence-based practice to patient care. 110 attendees.
- Roy Brown with Dr. Alison Montpetit, Director of Nursing Research and Innovation at VCU Health: Magnet Facilities and the Role the Library Liaison Can Play. This webinar focuses on providing a greater understanding of the Magnet Recognition Program and assists in identifying specific Magnet standards where librarians can partner with nurses to play key roles on the Magnet journey. 80 attendees.
- Emily Hurst: There’s an App for That! Tips to Evaluate Consumer Apps for Health. By better understanding how to evaluate applications, librarians can help their users make informed decisions about the apps they download. This webinar focuses on understanding how to evaluate apps and provides information about recommended apps. 63 attendees.
- Erica Brody and Hillary Miller: Navigating the Publishing Landscape: Nuances of Open Access and “Predatory” Publishing. This session demystifies the changing landscape of scholarly publishing, in particular, the rise of open access and “predatory” publishing. Attendees learn to navigate this nuanced landscape of scholarly communication. 110 attendees.
- Dana Ladd. Collaborative for Health Literacy. This webinar described the library’s collaboration with the VCU Center on Health Disparities to plan, develop and teach a series of workshops focused on improving participants’ health literacy and technology skills in the city’s East End, a historically low-income, food and resource desert. 16 attendees.
(Image: Logo for Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Medical Library Association )