Showing on the Cabell Screen through fall semester. 

“A Career of Collage” celebrates the multi-layered artistic life of longtime educator Chuck Scalin. In addition to the Cabell Screen show, some of these works are on exhibit at the  Boyd Realty Art Gallery,  6784 Forest Hill Ave., through Sept. 16.   

Scalin makes his mixed-media collages with oil stick, vintage paper, glass, metal and graphite.  

Scalin is a Professor Emeritus and former Assistant Chair of the Department of Communication Art + Design at Virginia Commonwealth University. His works have been exhibited and received honors in more than 250 exhibitions in both the United States and abroad. He obtained his BFA degree from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and an MFA degree from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York. 

After 35 years, Chuck retired from teaching at VCU but continued to teach for another 15 years in the Studio School at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. His work is included in many permanent collections, including VMFA, VCU, Pratt Institute, the Bayley Museum, the Muscarelle Museum, Reynolds Community College and Capital One, as well as numerous private collections worldwide. He received seven residencies at the Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris, where he was honored with a solo exhibition of his urban street photography, “Unsung Views of Paris.” Scalin lives and works in Richmond. 

The artist’s statement about the work:   

“I’m a gleaner and a collector. I search and gather both found materials and visual information from the cities I visit and incorporate them into my work. I find, recycle, reuse, reclaim…and I make. 

Throughout my artistic career the urban landscape has been and continues to be a source of inspiration for me. This unending offering of found detritus, textures and color have all become part of my visual vocabulary. Through this process I’ve learned to appreciate the inherent beauty found in the ordinary and the ephemeral.”

Categories Communication Arts, Faculty Work