Cold and Flu Season
The winter season can often lead to higher incidents of cold and flu for many of our students. Here are a few tips to share with your students to help keep them healthy during the winter months and some information about where they can go if they do get sick.
Flu Vaccines Available
It’s not too late for your student to get a FREE flu vaccine from University Health Services. They can get their vaccine during walk-in immunization hours or immediately following a scheduled medical visit. For more information on the flu vaccine and who should get vaccinated, click this link for the CDC flu prevention information.
Tips for Staying Well
Other than getting a flu vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) also recommend several other steps that individuals can take to avoid becoming ill:
- Avoid close contact with friends, roommates or others who may be sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching or rubbing your eyes and nose.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
If Your Student Gets Sick
- They should limit contact with others as much as possible.
- If they are experiencing flu-like symptoms, the CDC recommends staying home for at least 24 hours after their fever has gone away. Note: All students should check their syllabus for their professor’s attendance policy and make sure to notify professors of an absence, if necessary. Some professors may require medical documentation from Health Services or another medical provider.
- Students may go to University Health Services where they can see a healthcare provider. In some cases, providers may prescribe antiviral medications that can help alleviate symptoms. Same day appointments are reserved for students who are ill. Please call to schedule a same day appointment.
- Students may schedule an appointment by calling VCU Student Health directly at (804)828-8828 for the Monroe Park Campus and (804)828-9220 for the VCU Medical Center Campus Clinic.
- It can be tough to be away from home when you are sick, so care packages are always appreciated!
Below are some guides and treatment tips for the common cold and flu:
Common Cold- https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/default.htm
Flu- https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/default.htmCategories VCU Resources