Riverside Family Medicine

Training Family Medicine Residents and Caring for our Community Since 1971

User uploaded custom header image

Class of 2025

Bency Abraham, DO

Hometown: Lakewood, CO

College: University of Colorado Denver

Medical School: Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Colorado)

Favorite thing about residency: The residents and faculty are the greatest thing about our residency. We all love to laugh together!

Favorite thing about Newport News: I love that there is a large variety of food options available here regardless of the occasion.

Goals after residency: I would love to practice in an outpatient clinic setting following residency.

Hobbies: I love going on outdoor walks/hikes, kickboxing, and finding new brunch spots to try!

Sarah Abuali, MD

Hometown: Washington DC/Fairfax, Virginia

College: Boston University

Medical School: St. George’s University School of Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: The residency team/family!

Favorite thing about Newport News: Location, I can explore Williamsburg and Virginia Beach which are close by.

Goals after residency: To serve underserved communities locally and globally and to continue being a patient advocate whether it is through building relationships in daily patient encounters or continuing my contribution to medicine through research.

Hobbies: I enjoy painting, reading, traveling, writing, spending time with family/friends, game nights, and kickboxing.

I’ve been to 14 countries including Malaysia, Greece, Indonesia and Czech Republic. I really enjoy experiencing cultures, museums, cuisines ,and meeting new people!

Zemar Ahadzada, DO

Hometown: Falls Church, VA

College: George Mason University

Medical School: Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: Finally being able to take all the things I’ve learned in medical school and put into practice

Favorite thing about Newport News: The different varieties of food available, the number of beaches nearby, and proximity to Richmond and D.C.

Goals after residency: Work in outpatient family medicine

Hobbies: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sports, and being outdoors.

Brett Brodsky, DO

Hometown: Baltimore, MD (Go Ravens! Go Orioles!)

College: Johns Hopkins University

Medical School: Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, Virginia

Favorite thing about residency: My favorite thing about residency so far has been meeting so many great doctors committed to their craft and helping their patients. Riverside is also a beautiful hospital and it seems to get better everyday. I am enjoying how much I am learning about being the best doctor I can be.

Looking forward to getting great training from a program that really cares about their residents and the surrounding community.

Favorite thing about Newport News: I have enjoyed all of the little pockets of neighborhoods in Newport News. Yes almost everything is on Jefferson avenue, but it is fun to venture into the side streets and find new restaurants and hang out spots. I also love how close it is to the beach and some very fun cities in Williamsburg, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach.

Goals after residency: My main goal after residency is to do a Sports Medicine Fellowship. After that, I would love to be more proficient in ultrasound to help with Sports Medicine and my primary care skillset as well. I would love to be a team doctor for a college or university at some point.

Hobbies: I love to stay active in the gym as well as outside. I am an avid golfer, listener of podcasts and reader of books. I go to Trivia at the local breweries as well. I also love to take walks with my girlfriend, Tay and our golden retriever, Lieutenant, who goes by Louie.

Samuel Dobbs, MD

Hometown: Westport, New Zealand

College: Virginia Commonwealth University

Favorite thing about residency: The supportive learning environment

Favorite thing about Newport News: My favorite thing about Newport News is it’s small town feel while still having everything you need. There’s a great restaurant and brewery scene here without having to drive too far. It’s close to Richmond and Virginia Beach when that’s what you’re looking for, and it’s close to Yorktown, and more rural areas when that’s what you’re looking for too.

Goals after residency: Community level primary care

Hobbies: Sailing, Running, and Camping

Fatima Farooq, MD

Hometown: Pakistan

College:

Medical School: Shifa College of Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: Opportunity to learn and professionally grow in a genuinely welcoming, friendly, and supportive environment at Riverside.

Favorite thing about Newport News: Location, close to family in NOVA, and the fact that everything is accessible and available nearby.

Goals after residency: Still in the process of exploring my options but the aim at the end of my residency training is to be equipped with all the necessary skills needed to effectively serve the community.

Hobbies: Traveling, Photography, Cooking, Cricket, Reading, Staying in touch with family.

Favorite quote – “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.” – Robert Orben

Kristina Fisher, DO

Hometown: Buffalo, MN

College: Liberty University

Medical School: Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: Getting to know all the patients! Also the fact that the all the residents and attendings feel like a large family.

Favorite thing about Newport News: So many food options!

Goals after residency: Rural medicine and wound care. Moving to a place I can go fishing on a big lake.

Hobbies: Crafty things, short naps, home improvement projects, long naps, trying to keep up with lingo my kids use

I was a cryptologist in the Navy for six years, only been to Disney World one time… I know, disappointing, and have dreams to get my kids in love with Harry Potter as much as me so we can all go to Universal studios. Also biggest Office fan.

Sarah Hicks, DO

Hometown: Dunnellon, FL

College: University of Florida

Medical School: Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: The attendings and faculty are amazing. This program does a great job making you feel like family

Favorite thing about Newport News: Diversity of the area and being a quick drive to the beach

Goals after residency: I am interested in returning to a small town to practice rural medicine

Hobbies: I enjoy spending time with my 3 dogs and playing soccer

Brian Kim, DO

Hometown: Burke, VA

Favorite thing about residency: Working with my fellow residents and faculty

Favorite thing about Newport News: Close to the water and my hometown

Goals after residency: Outpatient Family Medicine in Virginia

Hobbies: Cooking and trying new foods with my wife, spoiling my Goldendoodle, video games, and playing guitar

Gina Nathwani, MD

Hometown: Newton, MA

College: Boston University

Medical School: American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: The faculty, staff, and co-residents are so down-to-earth, supportive and friendly! Also free food/coffee/tea/snacks etc.

Favorite thing about Newport News: Everything is easily accessible: groceries, restaurants, stores, gyms. The beaches and trails are nice too.

Goals after residency: Outpatient clinic/private practice.

Hobbies: Thrifting, going to the gym, buying a ridiculous amount of scented candles, trying local restaurants, hanging out with friends/family, traveling to new cities, laughing at memes, spending way too much time watching reality TV or re-watching episodes from the first 3 seasons of Spongebob Squarepants.

Sean Nielsen, MD

Hometown: East Hampton, NY

Medical School: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: My co-residents and faculty

Favorite thing about Newport News: I live in Williamsburg and the best thing is the Cheese Shop sandwiches

Goals after residency: Working at an outpatient clinic 4 days a week

Hobbies: Spending time with my girlfriend and go. Listening to podcasts.

Vera Okons, MD

Hometown: Fayetteville, NC

College: East Carolina University

Medical School: Virginia Commonwealth University

Favorite thing about residency: Support faculty and co-residents

Favorite thing about Newport News: Proximity to everything I need

Goals after residency: Outpatient medicine

Hobbies: Sleeping. Experiencing new restaurants. Spending quality time with family and friends.

Matthew Taylor, DO

Hometown: Parkersburg, WV

College: West Virginia University

Medical School: West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Favorite thing about residency: You get to work with and learn from all sorts of amazing people.

Favorite thing about Newport News: Within a short drive of a plethora of different activities.

Goals after residency: Considering returning to WV to practice rural medicine.

Hobbies: Sports, Hiking, Tech/computers, Bowling