President’s Posts

Michael Rao, Ph.D.

Category results for: Community

The Pursuit of Justice and Equality

As we recognize challenges, triumphs and leaders during Black History Month, we must remember the important role institutions like VCU and VCU Health have in the pursuit of justice and social, economic and health care equality. This pursuit, coupled with our location in the heart of Richmond, demands that we acknowledge the lasting impact of racism […]

Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Week at VCU

2020 was a year unlike any other. We navigated a global pandemic, protests against racial violence, the effects of climate change, and one of the most significant elections in the history of the United States. The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, in his letter from a Birmingham Jail, wrote, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to […]

Stay strong together

Dear VCU and VCU Health community, As we near the end of the semester and approach Thanksgiving, I want to pause briefly and say thank you again. This summer and fall have been extraordinary, bringing together the best in all of us. We found new ways of teaching, healing, research and creativity. We found new […]

Election Day

To the VCU and VCU Health Community, Election Day is less than a week away. Many of you already have voted, and I encourage those who haven’t to take time between now and then to exercise your right to have your voices heard. As a reminder, Election Day is a university holiday this year, primarily […]

VCU Massey 25 for 25: Health Equity and Justice campaign

We all imagine a world without cancer, and I’m proud that VCU Massey Cancer Center is hard at work making this a reality. Did you know that African Americans make up 13 percent of the U.S. population but have a higher cancer mortality rate than other ethnic and racial groups in the country? Today, the […]

Removing Confederate Symbols at VCU

Dear VCU and VCU Health communities, The Virginia Commonwealth University Board of Visitors voted today to remove racist and divisive symbols honoring the Confederacy from both campuses. This work will begin in earnest. Their decision came after more than three years of study, review, and reflection led by the university’s Vice President for Diversity and […]

« Previous Page
Next Page »