Debra Shockey
Debra Parker Shockey, DNP, RN, CPNP

Students in NURS 648: Management of Acute Problems in Children and Adolescents used Blackboard Collaborate to review cases that were presented by their instructor, Dr. Debbie Shockey. Dr. Shockey divided the class into six groups comprised of 5-6 students, and held one synchronous class per group over a three week period. Groups were assigned to different case studies, all of which involved an ill child. Dr. Shockey assumed the role of the child’s mother as she progressively revealed details of each case, providing pictures and other information when asked. For example, when a student requested labs or an x-ray that Dr. Shockey had available she shared them on-screen. Students used the tools in Collaborate to speak, share their video, and communicate via the text-based chat. Feedback solicited at the end of each class was overwhelmingly positive:

“I think it’s good, but the symptoms that the girl had were not at all what I was expecting…which is realistic!”
“Thanks! I enjoyed it!”
“I think this is a very interesting process and very useful!”
“I liked it more than I thought I would – it was fun to have the interaction with one another.”
“Definitely useful – great way to simulate.”
“It is a good form of a teaching tool!”
“Great collaboration and questions.”
“I think cases are always a good way to practice our algorithms for differential diagnosing.”
“I like it. I think it mimics some of the questions/angles that parents will be coming from.”
Please contact Elizabeth Miles at elmiles@vcu.edu if you are interested in learning more about Blackboard Collaborate.

Categories Uncategorized