VCU alumna, Anne Penrod, is spending a year in South Korea, fully funded by the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Read on for a taste of Anne’s experience so far and to learn more about what Fulbright could look like for you!

Name: Anne Penrod

Majors: Psychology and Sociology

Graduation Year: 2023

Living Learning Communities: Globe

Fulbright Program: English Teaching Assistantship, 2024

Country: South Korea

What program/country did you choose and why?

“I applied for the South Korea ETA program because I wanted more experience working with kids before going to graduate school for child therapy. I also knew that I wanted to go back to South Korea in some capacity since I had such an incredible time studying abroad in Seoul.”

What made you want to apply for Fulbright in the first place?
There are many programs available to help Americans teach English in South Korea, but going through the Fulbright program seemed like the most well-rounded choice. Fulbright provides flights, a six-week intensive orientation, housing, and finds schools for its ETAs. Fulbright also has a large alumni network which is appealing.”

In what ways did your Fulbright program inform your future goals?

“Fulbright allowed me to live out my goal of teaching English in South Korea. I’m excited to not only teach my students about American culture but also learn a lot from them about Korean culture. Even though I haven’t been in South Korea for very long, I know it’s going to be an amazing year despite all of the challenges of adjusting to a new country.”

What was your most memorable experience?

“The little kind gestures from people here bring me a lot of joy. Whether it’s the lady at the cafeteria complimenting my outfit, or my friend buying me a little cake for my birthday. Small acts of kindness truly make my day here.”

What advice would you give to prospective Fulbright applicants? 

“Just apply! If you’re interested and you think you have experiences that would help you to become a good English teacher, just apply and see what happens! I started my application extremely late, but my advisors and professors at VCU helped me come up with a great application in a short period of time.”

The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The program operates in over 160 countries worldwide. Over 2,000 grants are given to graduating seniors, recent alumni, and graduate students to conduct research, carry out creative projects, pursue a year of postgraduate study, or teach English abroad.

VCU’s National Scholarship Office (NSO) assists students and recent alumni with the application process for the Fulbright Program and other esteemed awards. To learn more about external funding opportunities, schedule an appointment with a member of the NSO staff.

Categories Fulbright Award, Fulbright ETA Award
Tagged ,