VCU alum Vineeth Vaidyula is spending a year doing research in India, fully funded by the Fulbright Student Program. Read on to learn about his experience and what Fulbright can do for you!

Name: Vineeth Vaidyula

Major: Biology

Graduation Year: 2023

Living Learning Community: Honors College

Fulbright Program: Study/Research, 2024

Country: India

What program/country did you choose and why?

“I chose Fulbright India – Research as I was interested in taking the analytical skills I learned in college and applying them to a topic that I was passionate about: grassroots global health. I wanted to also apply my language skills, interact with a culture and place my parents had told me stories about, and scratch my ancient architecture itch.”

What made you want to apply for Fulbright in the first place?

“I was taking a gap year between college and medical school and wanted to involve myself in something stimulating in a new environment. I had learned about Fulbright after attending an NSO info session a few years before, but it was Dr. Sisson who encouraged me to apply. And thank goodness for her and the NSO! The many rounds of application review panels, one-on-one Zoom calls, and “Fulbright Friday” emails helped me put together an application that I felt spoke to me and the selection committee.”

In what ways did your Fulbright program inform your future goals?

“A career goal of mine is to serve the culturally-diverse U.S. immigrant community I grew up in, and Fulbright has given me first-hand experience on what it means to be a foreigner living, breathing, and doing in another country. Serving a vulnerable population in India, while adjusting and adapting to a new country myself, has given me a new understanding of the cultural sensitivity that is needed to serve vulnerable immigrants adjusting to the U.S.”

What does a typical day look like?

“For me, a typical day in the program looks like this: I’m up by 8 a.m. and head to my local tiffin spot (a stand-up breakfast place) for a hot cup of chai and some idli (rice cakes) or upma (semolina porridge). By 9:30 a.m., I’m at my first clinic and I begin interviewing patients that walk in. When the clock strikes 1 p.m., it’s lunch time! Because there aren’t any lunch spots nearby, I swipe through Swiggy (India’s version of UberEats) and order biryani (rice and spice medley), poori (deep-fried bread served with chickpea or potato), or roti (pan-roasted bread eaten with curry). After lunch, I head to my second and third clinics. By 10:30 p.m., I’m home. I heat up some leftovers from lunch, catch up with friends over call, hit up Netflix, and go to bed.

My weekdays are busy with work, but my weekends are full of travel. Affordable trains connect every nook and cranny of the country, so I’m often visiting temples and historical monuments, distant relatives, and fellow Fulbright friends.”

What advice would you give to prospective Fulbright applicants?

“Just go for it! The Fulbright application – finding a host affiliate, writing the essays, and getting recommenders to vouch for you – can seem daunting, but it’s a very rewarding experience when you get to the other side, regardless of whether you receive an award. The application process taught me a lot about myself – my goals and what I want to do in the future – and the program itself pushed me to be in spaces that were initially very much outside of my comfort zone. If you’re on the fence about Fulbright and need some advice, please don’t hesitate to contact me! The NSO can put us in touch.”

The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The program operates in over 160 countries worldwide. Over 2,000 grants are given to graduating seniors, recent alumni, and graduate students to conduct research, carry out creative projects, pursue a year of postgraduate study, or teach English abroad.

VCU’s National Scholarship Office (NSO) assists students and recent alumni with the application process for the Fulbright Program and other esteemed awards. To learn more about external funding opportunities, schedule an appointment with a member of the NSO staff.

Some text was edited for clarity.

Categories Fulbright Award
Tagged