The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The program operates in over 160 countries worldwide. Over 2,000 grants are given to graduating seniors, recent alumni, and graduate students to conduct research, carry out creative projects, pursue a year of postgraduate study, or teach English abroad.

VCU’s National Scholarship Office (NSO) is sharing spotlights on past Fulbright recipients.

Name: Cydni Gordon
Majors: Psychology, Mass Communications, and African American Studies
Graduation Year: 2016
Living Learning Communities: Honors College and Globe
Fulbright Program:
Student Research, 2018
Country: Argentina

What program/country did you choose and why?

“When I decided to apply for Fulbright, I knew that I wanted to apply to a Spanish speaking country in the Western Hemisphere which was inspired by my previous study abroad experience in Mexico and love of the Spanish language. I chose the Student Research Award to Argentina in the end. I wanted something new and different than Mexico [and] because of an Argentine contact I made with the help of a mentor. After speaking via email with this contact and learning about their work, the choice was kind of made for me — our interests were so aligned.”

What made you want to apply for Fulbright in the first place?

“Without the NSO, I would not have known what Fulbright was, so I’ll start with sharing my sincerest gratitude to the office and VCU Globe. I first learned about Fulbright via an NSO presentation by Jeff Wing at the VCU Globe orientation seminar ahead of the Fall 2013 semester and since that time [it] was on my radar. I applied because of fierce encouragement from mentors (like those in [the] NSO [and] at [the] Globe) and also because of my interest in international exchange and cross-cultural research.”

In what ways did your Fulbright program inform your future goals?

“[M]y Fulbright in a way drastically changed my career trajectory. Before Fulbright, I envisioned that the experience would help prepare me for graduate work in a clinical psychology Ph.D. program. However, post-Fulbright, the lure of international education and exchange has led me to spend more time in this realm (I’m currently a Fulbright Program Officer at the Department of State).”

What was your most memorable experience?

“[It’s t]oo hard to decide what’s my most memorable experience as so many instances come to mind, but I like to think about the feelings I felt when I first landed in Argentina and was picked up at the airport by my host country mentor/affiliate versus how I felt on the drive on my last day. My journey between those two rides.” 

What advice would you give to prospective Fulbright applicants?

Fulbright is for you! Apply. Nurture your application and think about how the package as a whole represents you. I remember framing each section of the application as a part of a package that comes together. Have lots of eyes reviewing those essays (family, mentors, the VCU Writing Center, professors etc).

How did the NSO help you during the application process?

“The NSO was instrumental throughout [the] whole process. First in convincing me to apply when I was on the fence as I was unsure about the timing/feeling ill-equipped. From answering dozens of questions, reading essays and my application package, and scheduling my campus review panel, the NSO was there every step of the way.”

VCU’s National Scholarship Office (NSO) assists students and recent alumni with the application process for the Fulbright Program and other esteemed awards. To learn more about external funding opportunities, schedule an appointment with a member of the NSO staff.

Some text was edited for clarity.

Categories Fulbright Award, NSO Student Features, Uncategorized
Tagged ,