Respondus Lockdown Browser – Blackboard
In response to COVID-19, the vendor has given us unlimited seats in Respondus Monitor through the end of Spring 2020
Respondus LockDown Browser
A custom browser that locks down the testing enviornment within the learning management system (i.e. Blackboard.)
This is a downloadable application that is installed on your local computer and provides a customized user interface within your internet browser. It does not modify existing browser(s), but installs a separate program that will display a custom browser when the RLB application is launched. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs for the internet browser(s) already installed on your local computer.
This softward is not intended to replace the browser used by faculty or students with Blackboard. It is only intended for use by students while taking assessments that have been prepared for use with Respondus LockDown Browser.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Builds upon the power of lockdown browser, using a student’s webcam and industry-leading vidwo analytics to prevent cheating during non-proctored exams.
How Respondus Monitor Works
- Builds upon LockDown Browser
- Integrates seamlessly with your LMS (i.e. Blackboard) – Students access exams within the LMS as they normally would. Instructors do everything within the LMS too, including the post-exam review of proctoring results.
- No Scheduling or Registration – Exams can be taken with Respondus Monitor without advanced scheduling and without additional registration by the student
Software and Licensing Requirements
Cost: None. All VCU faculty, staff and students are licensed to use the product at no cost.
Conditions Of License
Use of the Respondus products included in this license is subject to all of the following conditions:
- The products may be installed on VCU owned PC’s and on privately owned PC’s.
- The use of the products under this license is restricted to VCU-related purposes ONLY. (Note that this applies regardless of how the installation media is obtained and who owns or uses the PC on which the products are installed.)
- The products may be used for VCU academic and administrative purposes.
- When you leave VCU you lose the right to use the products, and you must immediately uninstall them from all PCs on which you had installed them and on which you had authorized their installation.
- You may NOT resell this license and/or the products it covers.
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: MacOS 10.15 to 10.12, OS X 10.11, OSX 10.10
- iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only), details
- Chromebook: (K-12 only), details
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Both the Windows and Mac editions of the browser are based on Chromium, Google’s open source framework. Students do NOT need Google’s Chrome browser installed; nor will this version used for RLB affect a Chrome browser that’s already installed on a local computer.
Download and Install Respondus LockDown Browser
Note: This installation is only needed once on a single computer.
- Access the VCU-customized site: Download Respondus LockDown Browser
- Select the appropriate option, depending on what computer you are using: Lab Computer, Your Own Computer, or a Work Computer.
- Locate the downloaded file (LockDownSFX.exe) and double-click to start the setup process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once installed, locate the Respondus LockDown Browser icon on your desktop and double-click it to launch the application.