Office of Alumni Relations

The latest news from Virginia Commonwealth University

Myles Turner (B.S.’20) has always appreciated the diversity, inclusiveness and urban environment of VCU. The economics major is now the owner of Fries in Disguise food truck, which will be providing the fare at VCU Alumni’s Yappy Hour on Thursday, Aug. 24. 

His time at VCU played an integral part in who he is personally and professionally. “I want to be involved in showing how great VCU is,” he says.  

Why did you choose VCU?
I chose VCU because of how intertwined the university is with the city of Richmond. It was easy to make meaningful connections that expanded my network beyond my hometown of Chesterfield County. My time at VCU not only prepared me to create and operate my business, but it fostered the development of the network that I rely on every day.

Tell us about Fries in Disguise. What was your inspiration? 
The idea for Fries in Disguise came on a solo spring break trip to Amsterdam in March 2019. It blew my mind the number of friet shops there were, all with lines out the door. They weren’t doing anything special, most were just offering plain fries. What really threw me off was that most of the spots didn’t even offer ketchup. I just couldn’t understand it!

Later that summer I went to LA and discovered a place called Fry Madness that was making all different types of loaded fries in ways I had never even considered.

I wanted to bring a similar concept back to Richmond, but with my own flair. The possibilities of protein and sauce toppings could and should be endless. I had been cooking my whole life, and fries gave me the perfect canvas to create. I hired a few of my friends to help me operate, and we’ve been rolling steady since November 2021.

What are your top three favorite things about VCU? 
I love the diversity. Throughout my time at VCU I got to meet and work on projects with students of several nationalities. It was always nice hearing a different perspective and experiencing other cultures. 

I take pride in how inviting of a space the VCU campus is. It is amazing knowing students can have confidence that if they want to be a part of any organization, activity or program, the opportunity is available. Sadly, that can’t be found everywhere. 

Tell us about the Yappy Hour event. What are you most excited about?
I honestly feel honored to be able to bring Fries in Disguise to serve at the VCU Alumni event. It will be a great time for everybody! I’ve done events at the Yappy Hour location and the trivia is “paw-some.”

Categories Alumni

Comments