Connect 4 Summer
Do you need some fresh ideas for staying active this summer while connecting with VCU and your city?
Whether you live in Richmond, Virginia, or Riverside, California, VCU Alumni offers a summer bucket list, four weeks of exciting opportunities for you to get active in your area, starting July 12.
The list below includes in-person and virtual activities that you can complete on your own (or with family and friends) to win awesome prizes. Start participating by following VCU Alumni on Instagram. When you post a photo of your completed activity, use the hashtags #Connect4SummerVCU and #vcualumni to be entered to win.
Alumni who participate each week will be entered to win a prize and then included in the drawing for a grand prize (a $150 Airbnb gift card and VCU luggage set) at the end of the fourth week. The contest ends Aug. 8, 2021. Winners will be notified later in August via Instagram.
Follow VCU Alumni on Instagram for all of the details.
Be active in your city
- Catch a sporting event.
- Get in touch with nature by visiting a park.
- Try something new, such as an art class or a new recipe.
- Take a road trip. What can you explore in your city?
- Enjoy a picnic.
- Support local growers by shopping at a farmer’s market.
- Enjoy live music.
- Volunteer with a local organization. If you are in Richmond, consider volunteering at alumni-owned business Hummingbird Flower Co. from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Thursdays.
Choose your own adventure
- Participate in one of VCU Alumni’s New Student Send-offs to celebrate the Class of 2025 and incoming transfer students.
- Read a summer book. Use the list of alumni authors on Goodreads to pick a book or join the Virtual Book Club.
- Take a walking tour to see Richmond’s unique murals courtesy of Richmond Mural Tours or visit local murals in your area and snap a photo of your favorite.
- Get organized with a notebook and paper supplies from Cloth and Paper, started by a former VCU student. Use the coupon code VCU10 to receive 10% off your order.
Shop from an alumni-owned business
- Check out the VCU alumni-owned business directory and support small businesses.
- Attend a virtual event from Barefoot Puppet Theater on July 31.
- Do you have a sweet tooth? Stop by Ruby Scoops in RVA for a scoop of ice cream (or two!) or get a scoop from your local ice cream shop.
- Grab a pint of beer at Richmond’s Triple Crossing Beer or purchase beer or wine at your local brewery.
- Stop by alumni-owned Tang and Biscuit for a day of fun games or a night of live entertainment or visit a local entertainment center.
Participate in VCU spirit and traditions
- Stop by campus and touch the Ram Horns, or share a throwback photo of you with them.
- What’s your favorite spot in Monroe Park? Share a photo of a Monroe Park memory or take a stroll in the renovated park to make new memories.
- Snap a foot selfie in the Compass or the Larrick Compass. Or share a foot selfie on the Compass from when you were a student.
- Pose with the iconic VCU letters (there are new options on campus to choose from) or share a photo of you with them when you were a student.
- How much do you love Rodney the Ram? Share a photo of you with VCU’s lovable mascot.
- Rep your Ram Pride on vacation or share a photo of your Ram pride at home.
- Share photos of your time on campus.