Welcome Message from Lynanne Yndestad, Director of New Student & Family Programs
Welcome to another exciting year at VCU! We are thrilled to have you join us for the 2019-2020 academic year, which promises to be full of events and resources to help your students thrive. We had a wonderful summer meeting our parents, families and new students at New Student Orientation, and we hope you did as well.
We have many opportunities to get involved this year, including our monthly family events through the VCU Family Association. Last year these events included paint nights, museum tours and happy hours, and we are hard at work to create new events that will take you around campus and the City of Richmond. The VCU Family Association includes all parents and family members of VCU students. It is an organization with open and free membership which includes:
- Access to the New Student and Family Programs office for navigation and resource help
- Ongoing communication through the website, monthly electronic newsletters, daily blog posts, VCU Families app and social networks
- Invitations to events such as Family Weekend and monthly opportunities to interact with faculty, staff, students, and other family members
- Assistance on the VCU Family Helpline Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Access to bi-monthly webinars designed to help you and your student succeed academically, physically and mentally
If you already receive the monthly Ram Family Update electronic newsletter, you are part of the VCU Family Association. If you would like to connect to our resources please email us at email@example.com to join in on the fun!
We are also happy to introduce the VCU Family Council, an advisory board that serves the VCU Family Association, VCU students, and the University. Any family member of a current VCU student is eligible to apply for membership. This Council is responsible for advising the University on family programs and services and serves as a vehicle for communication between the Family Association and VCU administrators to address concerns of VCU parents and families. The application for the VCU Family Council has been extended to August 20, 2019.
Want more frequent updates on what’s happening around campus throughout the year? Please join us on our VCU Families Facebook Page where we will continue to share important information and deadlines, as well as interesting photos and videos from campus and beyond. If you have any questions, concerns, stories or triumphs to share, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (804) 828-7322. We wish you and your student the best in the year ahead and welcome to VCU!