Welcome to the 2021-22 school year: Resources for students
As classes start for the 2021-22 school year, the VCU School of Social Work marks our 104th year of educating future social workers.
We welcome a little over 1,100 students across our B.S.W., M.S.W. and Ph.D. programs – the next wave of practitioners, policy-makers, researchers and educators that our profession and society so urgently need.
Here is some helpful information to help keep students updated and involved.
Office of Student Success (OSS)
OSS is the school’s in-house academic support team. It has numerous supports and services to empower students to stay on course to graduation. Student success advisors will serve as a sounding board and referral source for academic and personal issues, stressing flexibility and, above all, empathy.
OSS oversees programs, events and student organizations within the school; manages processes and provides assistance regarding school and university scholarships for continuing students; sponsors career and job preparation workshops and networking; and addresses questions or concerns around school policies or documents.
For more information or to find out who your student success advisor is, contact OSS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The school has five student associations: the B.S.W. Student Association, the M.S.W. Student Association, the Doctoral Student Association, the Association of Black Social Workers and the Queer & Trans Social Workers at VCU. To learn more about an organization, email email@example.com.
School of Social Work student calendar
- Full calendar
- B.S.W. calendar
- M.S.W. calendar
- Online M.S.W. calendar
- Ph.D. calendar
- Field calendar
- OSS calendar
University key dates
- Aug. 24-30 – Add/drop and late registration. Consult with your student success advisor. If you are not sure who that is, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept. 6 – Labor Day holiday. University is closed and no classes are held.
- Sept. 10 – Last day for fall degree candidates to submit graduation applications for December degrees
- Oct. 22 – Reading Day; no classes are held.
- Nov. 2 – Election Day holiday. University is closed and no classes are held.
- Nov. 3 – Spring semester advance registration begins.
- Nov. 22-28 – Fall Break, no classes. University closed Nov. 24-28.
- Dec. 11 – University Commencement
- Dec. 13 – Last day of classes
- Dec. 14-21- Final examinations
See the full Fall 2021 academic calendar.
Additional academic resources
- School of Social Work Student Handbook
- Technical Standards and Essential Functions for Social Work Students
- Field Education Manual
- Online M.S.W. synchronous class days
Weeks of Welcome
The University’s Weeks of Welcome continue through Sept. 30, and there is no shortage of fun and informative activities to choose from:
- Get outside with mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking and rock climbing opportunities
- Get to know campus with tours, open houses and a student organization fair
- Find detailed information with various workshops and Q&A sessions.
- Look out for your well-being with health, fitness and food/cooking events.
- Relax and enjoy movies, a bingo night, a game night, a casino night and a disco night