School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

Phillip Johnson is the school’s resident information center specialist. Upon arriving in the School of Social Work Dean’s suite, he is always ready with a welcoming smile and a helping hand to assist you with whatever you need. Phillip has been with the school for nearly decade and with each year we cherish him even more. Please enjoy getting to know one of our hidden gems.

How long have you been at the VCU School of Social Work?

I started off working here as a freshman; so I have been working here since 2006. Originally, the position was a work-study program. When it ended, I was asked if I would like to continue. I have been here ever since.

Since you’ve been here, how have things changed?

Well, the biggest thing has been the building change, but besides that there are always changes in faculty, staff and students. People circulate in and out and you’ll see someone for a year or more and then they graduate. I am never sure where the time goes.

Well, speaking of the new building how do you feel about this one?

Previously, I worked in a small office and the space was a little awkward. Also it was easy to miss when walking by. I mean if anybody remembers, the business office in the old building was actually the original information center. So, when they did some office reassignments I was moved into the smaller room. In the new building, it feels like I’m doing my job because I am more accessible.

When you first started, did you know that’s where you would be working?

No, I actually applied to work somewhere else in the building. I think it was on the third floor as an assistant for Dr. Beverly Koerin.

Tell us a little bit about your educational background?

I graduated in 2010 with a degree in Kinetic Imaging from VCU. Kinetic imaging is working with videos, sound, and animation.

Do you plan to pursue a career in your degree field?

I still want to attempt story boarding for shows, maybe. I’m really interested in character design. I’m usually creating new characters and I try and put together comics in my spare time. I’m slowly picking away at it and trying to create a web comic.

What bought you to VCU for Kinetic Imaging? Did you always know its what you wanted to study?

Yeah, I’ve always wanted to do design since I was a kid. My mom and I heard that VCU had a really good animation program so I came here as opposed to other places in Virginia.

What was the best part about the program?

I guess in the end it was the people. There’s something about the people that I was able to work with and make connections with that really made it great. In college you are taught how to use the tools, it is really only a basic introduction. So the possibility of learning different ways of using those tools from others in the program is something I really enjoyed.

What does a general day look like for Phillip?

I get to the school at 8 a.m. and unlock the floor depending on the day I might run off some reports for the business office. I sort the mail, answer and transfer phone calls and help school visitors find where they are going. Then everything else is just assisting faculty, staff and visitor when help is needed.

What is the best part of your job?

I really enjoy doing paperwork. My system is essential – I time out the work that I do by music. I try to get a job done in a specific number of songs and that makes it quicker  and more fun.

What’s your most memorable moment?

When we were in the Raleigh building, we did a professional development training in the basement. It was around the time we first started to get the staff council together. We had lots of different team building activities planned for the day. Then, I’m not sure what started it, the next thing I know I am pushing Pam Duffus, administrative partner to the dean, in a deck chair. We ended up racing Doug Critecher, B.S.W. program assistant, and Laura Napky, assistant to the associate deans. It ended up morphing into a desk chair ballet. It was fun and a good team building experience. Also, I guess you could say it was our last goodbye to the Raleigh building.

What is one job that you would really enjoy doing?

Anything creative. I’m really into creating comics at the moment. I’m thinking of writing one based on the people in the school. I also want to make an iPhone game. I have a bunch of really gimmicky ideas that I would like to do something with.

Do you have any upcoming projects that you would like to share?

There’s a one shot comic I’m working on. I have a general story in mind, but I haven’t really flushed out all the details so just stay tuned.

Do you have a website or online portfolio for people to get in contact with you or view your work?

Anyone interested in checking out my artwork can view wither my Signs Of Life On Mars deviantart or facebook pages.

pj_icon_ac
Categories Faculty and staff
Tagged