School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

The VCU School of Social Work sponsored three events for Social Work Month 2024, and highlighted a number of our alumni across our social media channels. Check out photos and archived video from our panel presentations below.

Coffee & Conversation

March 7, 2024

Students gathered to chat at Buna Kurs Ethiopian Cafe in Richmond. The event brought together students, alumni and school leadership and faculty, including Interim Dean Gary S. Cuddeback, Ph.D.

(View the image below larger by opening in a new tab/window.)

Beyond the Micro: Myth, Realities and Opportunities in Macro Social Work

March 19, 2024

Five alumni – Allison Gilbreath (B.S.’11; M.S.W.’16), Rachael Randall (M.S.W.’19), Lourdes Sandoval (M.S.W.’23)Chrissy Wengloski (M.S.W.’17) and Alexa Zafarana (M.S.W.’18) – gathered for a Zoom panel to discuss how their field experiences have impacted their career trajectory.

Watch an archive of the panel session

Social Work, Policy & Politics: Exploring Social Determinants of Health

March 28, 2024

Gathering at the VCU Health Hub at 25th and via Zoom, we heard from our expert alumni panelists, Patricia Evelyn Green (M.S.W.’74), Fred Karnas (M.S.W.’76, Cert.’79) and Karen Kimsey (M.S.W.’96; Cert.’96), along with moderator and alum Jackie Lawrence (B.S.W.’16; M.S.W.’17).

Four people sit a table during a panel discussion.

The panel, from left, Jackie Lawrence, Karen Kimsey, Patricia Evelyn Green and Fred Karnas.

Watch an archive of the panel session

Social media shoutouts

Throughout March 2024, the VCU School of Social Work highlighted a mix of alumni and social workers nominated by our students. Click or tap on each image to see the Instagram post.

Uncommon alumni. Melissa Assalone (M.S.W.'15; Cert.'15). "My M.S.W. degree shaped me into the person I am today and helped me connect with so many policymakers and policy-changers who came before me." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH. Headshot of Assalone
Uncommon Alum. Qasarah Bey Spencer, Ed.D. (M.S.W.'08). Student nomination: "She is my professor and inspires and pushes me to be the best student I can! I really appreciate her." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH. Headshot of Spencer
UnCommon Alumni. Yusuf Harden (M.S.W.'18). Student nomination: “Yusuf goes above and beyond to connect with and advocate for our students.” VCU School of Social Work. Social Work Month. Headshot of Harden
Uncommon Alumni. Alum Jericia Johnson (B.S.W.'97), M.Ed., LPC. Student nomination: "She is not one to shy away from learning opportunities that encourage students to get uncomfortable in the hopes of a newfound skill or realization." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH
Uncommon faculty. Bianca Altamirano Kelly. Student nomination: "Dr. Kelly makes me feel seen and heard as a person and student, not simply the producer of papers and exams that must bve graded." VCU School of Social Work. Social Work Month. Headshot of Kelly
Uncommon instructor. Hope Lampley. Student nomination: "Ms. Hope offers support, feedback, reflection opportunities, and goes above and beyond to teach me and my peers." VCU School of Social Work. Social Work Month. Lampley headshot
Uncommon alumni. Kristin Lennox (B.S.W.'11; M.S.W.'16). "Real social work is radical liberation work and requires imagination, collective healing and limitless grit." VCU School of Social Work. Social Work Month. Headshot of Lennox
Uncommon alumni. Alum Sharron McDaniel (B.S.W.'17) "I live out the values of social work by being an advocate of social change and positive cultural paradigm shifts." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH. Headshot of McDaniel
Uncommon alumni. Erika Schmale (M.S.W.'12). "One of my favorite things about being a VCU social work alum in Richmond is running into other alums! am regularly inspired by my fellow social workers and their commitment to people and community." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH. Headshot of Schmale
Uncommon alumni. Alum Ashley Waddell (B.S.W.'15; M.S.W.'16). "Along my journey as a Black female therapist, African-centered social work has been my compass, guiding me with purpose and passion. It embodies commitment to social justice, cultural responsiveness and empowerment." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH. Headshot of Waddell
Uncommon alumni. Kim Young (M.S.W.'13), LCSW. "I struggled for years to find my place in the field of social work; however, what discovered ultimately is that I am Black before I am a social worker, I am revolutionary before I am a therapist." VCU School of Social Work. SOCIAL WORK MONTH. Headshot of Young

Categories Alumni, Community
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,