School of Pharmacy

School of Pharmacy News

User uploaded custom header image

Harold Smith, MCV School of Pharmacy 1956 X-Ray yearbook

Harold Linwood Smith, a School of Pharmacy alumnus and associate professor emeritus, died April 17, 2015, at age 87.

A Richmond native, he earned his B.S. degree at the MCV School of Pharmacy in 1956 after having served in the Virginia Air National Guard during the Korean War.

He went on to earn his Ph.D. at the school in 1962.  As Bill Soine, professor emeritus of medicinal chemistry, notes, Smith was one of the first graduates of the School of Pharmacy’s graduate program.

While attending the school’s 50th Anniversary Graduate Alumni Reunion in 2008, Smith recalled that Walter Hartung had brought two students with him to MCV and then picked up two more students (including Smith) when he joined the pharmaceutical chemistry faculty.

While working on his Ph.D., Smith won the Vick Chemical Co.’s Lunsford Richardson Pharmacy Prize for the best original paper written by a graduate student in the Southeast. He also was inducted into the Lambda chapter of the Rho Chi Society and was vice president of MCV’s graduate student organization.

Harold Smith in the late 1980s
Harold Smith in the late 1980s

Following postdoctoral research at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy and working for Lederle Laboratories, Smith joined the Department of Pharmaceutics faculty in 1968. He also served as assistant director of the clinical studies unit. He retired from the school in 1996 but continued to work as a consultant with the clinical studies unit.

Tom Karnes, emeritus professor of pharmaceutics, has vivid memories of the man who chaired his own search committee:

“The first time I met Harold Smith was when I applied for my faculty position at VCU in 1984.  I remember that I was a bit taken back when I first talked to him over the phone because of his strong Virginia drawl and the fear that I was in for a big culture shock if I moved to Richmond.

“Harold was the chairman of the search committee for my position and, as I got to know him, because of his kindness and helpfulness, I quickly began to feel like one of the family. After a short time I began not to notice his drawl at all. I will always remember him for his friendly, positive demeanor, but what I remember most is how he loved to talk. He would talk to anyone and everyone. Harold was a very outgoing and confident man and would strike up a friendly conversation no matter what the circumstance.

“Over the years, Harold and I became close friends. We would go out to dinner and a basketball or baseball game with a group of guys from VCU. We even took a road trip or two to Baltimore to see the Orioles play. He was a big fan of Michigan football and was usually jealous of my Florida Gators back in those days. He was always a gentleman about it, however.  It is a good thing the two teams did not meet on the field. We were both big Ram fans and always enjoyed a good conversation about Rams basketball.

Harold Smith (left) and fellow pharmaceutics faculty Wesley Poynor, "gone fishing"
Harold Smith (left) and fellow pharmaceutics faculty Wesley Poynor, “gone fishing”

“I also enjoyed going to see Harold and Bill Barr play in their swing band [Swing Time]. Harold was so cool, bopping to the music and playing the drums. The band was quite good and was invited to play gigs often, so there were lots of opportunities to see them.

“I remember Harold and Bill asking me at my job interview if I played an instrument. I replied that I played sax but that I had not played since high school and was not very good. They were both very disappointed; I think they were looking to build an all-MCV swing band.

“Harold was the glue that held the school’s clinical studies unit together at times and actually named the successful spinoff company, Bioclin. None of us made any money with the company, but it was a real adventure to say the least. Harold kept us all in line and always reminded us of what was important.

“I also remember Harold as being a strong family man. Harold devoted weekends to his family as often as he could. His son Wayne came along on our guy outings often, even more often when Harold was having trouble getting around and Wayne was needed to help him.

“Harold was always working on his classic Ford Mustang (I told you he was cool) with his other son, Bryan. He was the most devoted husband I have ever seen when his wife Shirley was sick.  After Shirley died, Harold slowed down a bit and the outings became less frequent.

William Garnett, Randy James and I continued to see Harold as often as we could until he died. Even when he was suffering, he loved to talk. Harold had a very full life, and I admire him for that. The guys are planning a road trip this fall. I am sure we will have a conversation or two in honor of our old friend Harold.”

Garnett echoes Karnes’ fond memories:

“Harold was full of life and lived it to the fullest.  He enjoyed playing tennis and golf, watching sports (we were both Rams and Yankee fans), music, and friends.  He was an excellent caregiver when his wife became sick.

“He was well organized and did a great job of helping our study unit develop budgets for studies.”

Visit the Department of Pharmaceutics website for more reminiscences and comments from Harold Smith’s former students and co-workers.

*******

Harold L. Smith was preceded in death by his wife of 56 years, Shirley Carter Smith. He is survived by two sons, Wayne (and wife Angela) of Richmond and Bryan (and wife Alice) of Lynchburg, along with one grandson, one great-granddaughter, one brother and several nieces and nephews.

A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. May 2 at Patterson Avenue Baptist Church, 4301 Patterson Ave. in Richmond, with a reception to follow. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the National Kidney Foundation, the American Cancer Society or your favorite charity.

Categories Alumni news, Faculty and staff news, Graduate students