unitedkingdom

Shannon Laribo, from Charleston, South Carolina, received her bachelor’s of arts degree in film and bachelor’s of science degree in sociology from VCU in 2014. With the support of her Fulbright grant, Laribo will be pursuing her master’s degree at an institution in the United Kingdom. After she graduates, Laribo plans to work as a researcher for an education non-profit that focuses on reducing racial prejudices at the elementary school level, then eventually go on to form a globally focused anti-racism curriculum for secondary students.
Shannon Laribo - Fulbright
What is your research focus or proposal for your Fulbright award?
I will be pursuing a master’s degree at an institution in the United Kingdom.

What initially drew you to apply for the Fulbright?
I knew I wanted to further my study and learn more about race and inequality in an academic setting.  As one who yearns for varied experiences and who values diversity it was important to me to explore new cultures.  I was excited at the prospect of observing the racial climate of another multicultural hub, the United Kingdom, and to compare those observations to my experiences in the Untied States.

What do you plan on doing after your Fulbright year?
Upon graduation, I hope to work as a researcher for an education non-profit that focuses on reducing racial prejudice in children.  I want to eventually form a global-focused anti-racist curriculum for secondary students.  

What advice would you give to future applicants?
I advise future applicants to check to make sure that the program they are applying to (especially if it is an obscure one) will still be running the next school year. 

What else did you do at VCU that bolstered your application?
I’m an aspiring screenwriter.  I often read and analyze screenplays for literacy agencies and screenplay competitions.  I have also worked on several film projects as a casting assistant or a production assistant.  I am a member of the VCU chapter of the Appa Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for a Fulbright? 
Shannon and her ten fellow recipients from VCU worked with the National Scholarship Office (NSO) at Virginia Commonwealth University. The NSO works with VCU alumni, graduate students, and undergraduates who wish to compete for prestigious national and international scholarships, such as Fulbright.  If you are interested in applying for Fulbright or other nationally or internationally competitive scholarships, please contact the NSO at natlscholar@vcu.edu or (804) 828-6868.

How many students from VCU are awarded the Fulbright? 
With this latest group of Fulbright Student Scholarship recipients, 42 VCU students and recent alumni have been offered Fulbright awards since the National Scholarship Office was created in 2005.

Can you tell me more about the Fulbright?
Established in 1946, the Fulbright Program aims to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries, through the exchange of persons, knowledge and skills. Sponsored by the United States Department of State, the Fulbright Program provides funding for students, scholars and professionals to undertake graduate study, advanced research, university teaching and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. Learn more at us.fulbrightonline.org.

Categories Fulbright Award, Fulbright ETA Award, NSO Student Features