Office of Alumni Relations

The latest news from Virginia Commonwealth University

Ike Smith and Amber Ben-Hanania at a Nationals game

Ike Smith (B.A.’10/GPA), a project manager for PwC in Washington, D.C., started his volunteer service as president of the VCU Alumni DMV Chapter and has transitioned to a member of the VCU Alumni Council “to provide a voice for the alumni chapters and support the greater VCU alumni community.”

What have been your favorite chapter events? 

Not to sound too cheesy or cliche but, honestly, my favorite events are all of them because it’s always different types, such as happy hours, sporting events, watch parties and escape rooms.

What advice do you have for alumni moving to the Washington, D.C., Maryland and northern Virginia area? 

If you’re looking to meet people who are willing to help you out with advice and informal (for now) mentorship, going to the chapter events is a great way to meet people who share a common interest and bond with VCU and Richmond, especially if you don’t know too many people around the area. I definitely wished I would’ve done that when I first moved to the DMV area as I didn’t know anyone.

Do you have any favorite restaurants or experiences in the DMV area you’d recommend people check out?

There’s so many! But to narrow it down a bit, for BBQ: Hill Country by Chinatown; for seafood: Hank’s Oyster Bar in any of their locations; bars: Rocket Bar in Chinatown or the Board Room in Dupont; for a nice dinner: the Wharf in Old Town Alexandria. For experiences, I won’t say the museums because that’s something everyone should do, but offbeat suggestions include Artechouse, going to a Nationals game (if the season starts), the National Arboretum and, once it’s in season usually starting around mid-July, McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management area to see huge fields of sunflowers blooming.

Categories Alumni