Office of Alumni Relations

The latest news from Virginia Commonwealth University

Valerie Cason Williamston (B.S.’88/B) was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. She worked at VCU, in the grants and contracts accounting department, after graduation before moving to Washington, D.C., to accept a position with the American Bar Association. She returned to the Tidewater area and has been employed with Virginia Beach City Public Schools for the past 25 years.

All the while, she has stayed connected to VCU through her active involvement and support of alumni and student activities.

How have you stayed connected to VCU?
I have been actively involved with the African American Alumni Council and the Business Alumni Society, and I’ve facilitated events during AAAC Reunion Weekend. I’m also a member of the Life Member Society and have attended leadership workshops and several Hampton Roads alumni functions, such as watch parties, socials and student send-offs. 

What advice can you share for alumni moving to the Hampton Roads area?
Please reconnect and stay connected to the university. Our Hampton Roads students could really benefit from your experience and areas of expertise!

Do you have any recommendations for newcomers for restaurants and attractions?
I love Sandbridge and all the other beaches in the area and, of course, the Virginia Beach oceanfront, Top Golf and the botanical gardens in Norfolk. There are so many amazing restaurants to choose from in the area, but I think my favorite is Ruth’s Chris Steak House in Town Center in Virginia Beach. And you have to go to the Sweet Spot for dessert!

Categories Alumni