Introducing Compass – The University Web Framework
VCU Technology Services and University Relations are pleased to announce the upcoming launch of Compass – The University Web Framework, a cross-unit initiative intended to streamline VCU website builds.
Compass 1.0: What to expect
Compass is an ongoing initiative, and the first release will provide the building blocks to create a website. It will:
- Integrate with T4, the university’s content management system
- Be available to T4-trained university staff at no cost
- Include web components, introductory documentation and twice-weekly open consultation sessions with VCU Web Services
Technology Services and University Relations will pilot select sites to Compass during spring 2020. Compass 1.0 will be available to the university community in summer 2020, once the exploratory migrations are complete.
By starting with a pilot phase, the Compass team will be able to:
- Identify and correct bugs and potential issues
- Address feedback from the larger web community
- Develop clear introductory documentation on how to best use Compass
The web framework will roll out in phases after the initial launch, with continuous improvements and guidance made available in each release. The core Compass team will evolve the web framework’s capabilities from initial launch to maturity according to our project roadmap.
In addition, our team will regularly check in with the larger university web community to make sure we’re building a framework that aligns with what you need. You can help shape the Compass roadmap and prioritize components for future releases: We encourage you to share your suggestions and requests with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.