Guerrilla Girls Definition of a Hypocrite an art collector who buys white male art at benefits for liberal causes, but never buys art by women or artists of color, please send $ and comments to Guerrilla Girls conscience of the art world box 1056 Cooper Sta. NY, NY 10276

On Fridays at my school, I see every class for a 40 minute session. I decided to do a “designer” spotlight on the Guerrilla Girls for my Graphic Design class. Many of the students have not taken art since elementary school, and none of them had heard of the Guerrilla Girls before. I showed them Definition of a Hypocrite and then we watched PBS’s “The Art Assignment: the Art of Complaining.” In the video, two of the Guerrilla Girls assign viewers the task of complaining. I then reinforced their instructions, prompting students to use Photoshop or Illustrator to design a poster raising awareness of something they want to complain about. They had about 30 minutes to do this and their posters blew me away. We talked about institutional critique during our discussion of Definition of a Hypocrite, and several students chose to design posters responding to issues they face at school, which I thought was awesome.

stop sign with sticker reading "using comic sans" in comic sans font

Firefox browser icon with "the earth is burning" text above

Chart titled "books (and other short stories) read in english class" while male authors 10 books, white female authors 1 book, people of color authors 2 books

four books with spines that read "follow the homework policy"

Categories Fall 2019, Student Teacher Blog