color association worksheet

As fourth grade entered into a unit about abstract expressionist art, the students delved deeply into the element of color and its ability to express emotion. In groups, students brainstormed extensive lists of emotion words. Then, independently, they considered many examples of monochromatic images, assigning an emotion they associated with each image to create their own color-emotion index. 

color association worksheet

Next, they learned terms such as printmaking, monoprint, plate, registration, and brayer. Then, I demonstrated how to use two colors and various tools to create an exciting gelli print. 

In the next phase, students chose with their table groups two colors of acrylic paint to use for their prints. Students put their new color-emotion indexes to work, choosing specific emotions for their colors to represent. Each student prepared their gelli plates with paint, a brayer, and tools and stamps to create designs and textures. 

students painting

Then came the most exciting part–pulling the print!

students pressing prints students pulling up red print students pulling up blue print students pulling up pink print

The students loved experimenting with this new process and created some beautiful, emotional prints. Take a look!

green abstract print black, purple, green abstract print blue and orange abstract print red and orange abstract print light and dark blue abstract print

This lesson is a version of one I did in my elementary practicum placement that I polished. I think it is one of the strongest lessons I have. They get a connection to the big idea of emotion, collaborative and independent work, idea generation, abstract concepts, and new process and material experimentation.

Categories Fall 2019, Student Teacher Blog