School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

Category results for: Community

NASW statement on ASWB licensing exam

Dear VCU School of Social Work community, If you have not already reviewed it, I want to draw your attention to the NASW news release from Feb 3, 2023.  This news release outlines NASW’s stance on the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) licensing exam and the Social Work Interstate Compact Legislation. I would also […]

Statement, resources in advance of Tyre Nichols-Memphis video release

Dear SSW community, Dr. Aaron J. Hart, VCU vice president for student affairs, has outlined resources (below) to our community during this time as we await the release of video around the death of Tyre Nichols.  I ask that as you process your feelings that you reach out for support.  Be sensitive and mindful to […]

Tips to go dry in January and beyond, or to indulge safely

Though we are already a few days into 2023, many are still working to shore up New Year’s resolutions and healthier lifestyles in general.  One popular idea is to practice Dry January, “a time when people take a break from drinking and examine their relationship with alcohol,” as described by the director of the National […]

Annual Report 2022: Celebrating 105 years as an uncommon community cornerstone

The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Social Work marked its 105th year in social work education in 2022, celebrating its history and the unlimited opportunities the future holds. The school’s Annual Report for the 2021-22 academic year highlights uncommon and exceptional students, faculty, alumni and community partners.  Among those highlights: Art of Black motherhood Assistant […]

Social work-led project will train pediatricians to reduce adverse childhood experiences

VCU School of Social Work Associate Professor Sunny Shin, Ph.D., is leading a new project funded by the Virginia Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that will work to prevent adverse childhood experiences in the commonwealth. The three-year project is a partnership with VDH’s Injury and Violence Prevention Program and […]

December M.S.W. graduate Brittany Watson finds her path as a doula

Brittany Watson will graduate Dec. 10 with her Master of Social Work degree, having focused on the clinical concentration through the M.S.W. Program online format. Her plans are to expand her birth doula business to offer more services to expecting parents and newborns. It’s the culmination of a career change after she earned two B.S. […]

Statement on Colorado Springs shooting

Dear School of Social Work community, It is heartbreaking to reach out to you once again in the wake of a hate crime, this time directed at the LGBTQ+ community in Colorado Springs.  We grieve for those five killed and 18 injured, and their families; and we stand in solidarity with those directly impacted in […]

Statements on shooting in Charlottesville

Dear School of Social Work Community, As you begin your day this morning with heavy hearts, I join you in grief for our neighbors at UVA. I am grateful for our community and the confidence I have that we will support each other. Continue supporting, extending kindness and holding space for each other. Please also share and utilize counseling […]

Pay It Forward Fund available to assist students with emergency financial needs

As the calendar turns to November, stress can mount for students. The end of year holidays are approaching. Finals are less than six weeks away. And daylight savings time – and that extra hour of evening sunlight – ends this weekend. The last thing anyone needs is an unexpected financial situation to add to their […]

Queer and Trans Social Workers’ statement on trans students in Virginia public schools

Dear SSW Community, It has been an exciting fall semester. Watching the transformative power of social work education in the lives of students always fills me with an immense sense of hope. Part of that educational experience is about learning how to elevate and highlight voice. Empowering our communities to use their voice is a […]

« Previous Page
Next Page »