School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

Dear VCU School of Social Work community,

If you have not already reviewed it, I want to draw your attention to the NASW news release from Feb 3, 2023.  This news release outlines NASW’s stance on the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) licensing exam and the Social Work Interstate Compact Legislation.

I would also like to draw your attention to information the VCU School of Social Work program directors and myself shared with you on Sept. 7, 2022 regarding social work licensing. Licensing is an issue critical to our profession, and since September VCU Social Work has continued to work with other schools of social work to advocate for change and action. I am currently serving on one of multiple task forces through the National Association of Deans and Directors (NADD).  

Social work licensing is state-regulated, and it is important that you stay informed about the impact of licensure on your career, regulation in your state, and the field of social work. It is also important that you explore ways to advocate for change at the state level. This spring you will see several opportunities to engage with the school in these conversations, including upcoming panel discussions on licensure, as well as licensing preparation. I encourage you to actively engage in these discussions.  

In community,

Rebecca Gomez signature

Rebecca Gomez, Ph.D.
Interim dean and associate professor
VCU School of Social Work

Categories Alumni, Community, Education, From the dean
Tagged , , , ,