School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

Kwasi Deitutu, a graduate student in the School of Social Work, is passionate about soccer. (Allen Jones, University Marketing)

VCU master of social work student Kwasi Deitutu is a former sergeant first class who traveled the world for the U.S. Army, meeting President George W. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.

But it’s fellow soldiers and their families, and their needs, that drew him to social work after retiring from the military.

“The reason I went into social work was because going to Afghanistan and Iraq, we went through a lot of traumatic experiences,” Deitutu says. “A lot of our soldiers are seeking help. That’s how I found out about social work, by helping other people who needed help with family issues and problems at home.

“I was trying to help people find resources to help themselves. I find the campus life interesting and exciting because the majority of the students are in the age groups of the soldiers I used to train and lead in the U.S. Army.”

He has served as vice president of the Association of Black Social Workers, points to the class Power, Privilege and Oppression as his favorite and identifies Allison Gilbreath (B.S.’11/GPA; M.S.W.’16/SW), a VCU alum, as his favorite faculty member.

“She is passionate about the subject she teaches, cares about the students, and responds promptly to emails and questions,” he says. “She has empathy. She brought some excellent guest speakers to the class, and I learned something from all of the guest speakers.”

Away from school, Deitutu serve as a referee for adult soccer leagues around Central Virginia.

» See the full story at VCU News.

Categories Community, Students
Tagged , , , ,