VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

For this first-generation student, nursing school is a reminder of her start in a new country

“I have always danced around with nursing,” said Karen Davila, a student in the accelerated B.S. program, graduating December 2023. Davila immigrated to the United States from Argentina when she was six, and her early memories of her new home are of public clinics where her family received their required paperwork and vaccines upon arrival. “I remember admiring the nurses because they were doing all these cool things like drawing our blood and getting vitals and at the time I was amazed. They were also the first Americans that I interacted with, and they were so kind and made me feel welcomed in the country. I remember telling my mom that I wanted to grow up and make people feel safe and happy too, especially people like us who don’t know English or the culture yet,” said Davila.

When Davila earned her bachelor’s degree in community health with a minor in epidemiology in 2019, she became the first in her entire family to graduate college. “Honestly, nursing school is a different ball game. It was the first time I felt academically challenged,” said Davila. Her rotation in the Critical Care Hospital at VCU has been one of the most rewarding experiences of her time in the nursing program. “My favorite part so far has been the clinicals. I’ve been lucky enough to have had over 60 hours of clinicals in the ICU at VCU. It was such a cool experience that inspired me to even apply to a few ICU positions post grad. The nurses were amazing and kind even under the pressure of carrying us students around. And, my clinical instructor Dr. [James] Tormey was just the best. Shout out to CCH3 because the staff was honestly amazing!” she said.

In addition to coursework and clinical hours, Davila has worked in patient settings, an experience that has given her a great preview of what her early career can be. “What helped me a lot is my job as a patient care technician at VCU. I couldn’t recommend it enough to future nurses, or anyone who wants any kind of job in the health field. You learn so much if you put yourself out there. My unit for example has brought me so many opportunities and has allowed me to grow so much as well as built my confidence,” she said.

Davila is sure that the hard work she is putting in now is setting her up for success later. Still, she acknowledges nursing school is a sometimes very difficult challenge between paying for school, juggling clinicals, attending classes, and studying. “Work-wise, just remember once you graduate, you’ll probably never work as much as you are right now. This is only temporary and soon all your work will pay off and you’ll be able to enjoy so much more of life,” she said. Fortunately, scholarships like the Conway Scholarship she received for this school year, alleviates some of that burden. “I think that scholarships are something that make our lives a lot easier.”

Finding that balance and outlook, Davila admits, took some time for her to conclude and practice. “My recommendation is also to be like ‘second-year me’ and don’t stress yourself so much. Don’t lose yourself and give yourself anxiety and extra stress […] I remember starting out last August and wanting to go back home and now I leave in five months and I’m dreading saying goodbye.”

When she graduates at the end of this year, Davila hopes to land a spot in a graduate residency program in Northern Virginia where she has already put in job applications. “I plan to go into community health which mixes my original bachelor’s degree with this one so I can become a more well-rounded professional who can give back to the community and neighbors that have been here for me for years. I plan on working perhaps in the health department and be part of sliding scale clinics which happen to be the ones I’d go to as a child when I first came to America,” she said. Eventually, she would like to go back to school to earn a master’s in public health nursing and work in her community, living out the plan she saw for herself as a 6-year-old. “It all ties in together,” said Davila.

As she nears the finish of her program, Davila hopes to spread her wisdom to newer students–take time to enjoy the challenges and opportunities of nursing school. “And like we say in Argentina ‘no pasa nada’ (translation: you’ll be okay). Enjoy your time. It’s tricky and challenging, but it’s also fun and incredibly interesting. Study with friends, go outside, eat delicious food, pet some animals, and know that you will be okay.”

by Moira Neve

Categories News, Students