VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

In celebration of Nurses Week 2020, VCU School of Nursing is sharing each day why students love being part of the most trusted profession on earth.  Meet Luke Balmer, a master’s degree student, adult gerontology primary care nurse practitioner concentration, who works in the Coronary ICU at VCU Health.

Q. What do you enjoy most about being a nurse? 

A. I enjoy caring for people. As cliché as it sounds, it is the main reason I applied for nursing school right after high school. Nursing has its challenges, but at the end of the day, I have great satisfaction knowing that I have made some impact on a patient’s life.

Q. How has your VCU School of Nursing education prepared you for your work as a nurse, particularly in situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic? 

A. VCU School of Nursing has prepared me for situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic by training me in provider-driven assessment skills. The school has honed these skills of mine in multiple settings. Simulation labs, practicums and advanced assessment are just a few examples.  

Q.  What words of encouragement or advice would you share with current and future nurses? 

A. It is okay to be afraid or anxious about this pandemic or any future pandemic that arises so close to home. It is new and unlike anything we have experienced before. But there is always support, whether it comes from your manager, nurse educator, physicians, or the many other coworkers around you. Always keep safety as your top priority, practice proper use of PPE, hand hygiene, and be proud to be at the front lines in this time of need!

Categories Alumni and Friends, Events, Students