VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

In continuing our Moments of Pride series, the VCU School of Nursing is sharing additional alumni perspective on why they love nursing and more. Meet Jennifer McAdoo (B.S.‘13/N; M.S.‘18/N), AGPCNP, who works in sleep medicine at Bon Secours, where she assists patients who have sleep apnea, insomnia and narcolepsy. 

Q. What do you enjoy most about being a nurse? 

A. Meeting people where they are and building their confidence and skills to care for themselves and improve their health outcomes. 

Q. How has your VCU School of Nursing education prepared you for your work as a nurse, particularly in situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic? 

A. Being able to work as part of a team, prioritizing work flows and improving processes as they are changed and rolled out are skills I learned in my prior career in the financial industry and then was able to adapt to health care through my experiences in VCU’s nursing and NP programs. Specifically, I enjoyed my learning experiences with the Richmond Health and Wellness program at Dominion Place where I completed my RN community health clinical and then returned as a preceptor for nursing students during my master’s program and continued to volunteer through my VCU experience in their excellent interdisciplinary program. 

Q. Can you share any words of encouragement or advice to current and future nurses? 

A. Enjoy the moments that make you love what you do, they will help carry you through the times when you struggle and face challenges that seem insurmountable. As nurses we can improve any situation with the way we choose to act and lead through example; we might not be able to change it, but we can improve the journey. 

Categories Alumni and Friends
Tagged , , ,