VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

Yesterday was our first “clinical day” here in ZA. Elaine and I were paired and sent to the Kwazakehle Day Hospital in one of the townships. I had tried to mentally prepare myself for what I would encounter, however reality proved to be much more intense than what I had imagined. We were told that the clinics would often see upwards of 400 patients per day, but to see the masses waiting was a totally different experience. All of the patients there had no health insurance and no ability to pay. The clinic offered primary health care services, immunizations for children, HIV testing, as well as some psychiatric services. We were oriented to the clinic by Sister Badella (all the nurses – male and female – are called by the title ‘sister’). She had been a nurse for 45 years! She was wonderful…full of hugs and stories. By 1230, she was ready for Elaine and I to perform a health assessment on a patient, under her close supervision of course. That was quite interesting, considering my patient spoke isiXhosa! I stumbled through it and then had to present the case to the M.D!!! The experience was surreal. It made me so appreciative for our facilities in the U.S. and even more proud of the nurses that serve in THIS country. A registered nurse in South Africa is responsible for assessing, prescribing medications and even suturing patients! After completing a 4 year degree!!! Unreal.

Today was another uniquely wonderful experience. As part of our home health care visit, we attended Sapphire Primary School. A school with around 1024 students and 27 teachers!!! The children there were magnificent!!! They are so beautiful and full of life. When they saw that we had cameras they flocked to us to be photographed. And when one of us would try to be photographed with a small group of students, 15 more would come flying in to be a part of the picture. Mica said it was almost like we were celebrities! I’ve never seen people be so excited to have their pictures taken. They felt so important and proud to be recognized. They sang songs for us. They clapped. They were just so happy. Soooooo uplifting. We then went with a volunteer from Emmanuel service, which is a NGO (non-governmental organization) that has volunteers that visit home-bound HIV+ residents. These individuals moved me to tears. We went to “Brother Owen’s” house in the township. He has been living with HIV for nearly 7 years. He lived in a small house with his daughter and girlfriend. He didn’t seem to mind the “foreign intruders” at all. We talked with him and asked questions about his health and living conditions. Before we left, Vivian (the guide for the day) prayed with all of us. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. It was so profoundly moving, to see this man that lived in unimaginable poverty and with a disease that was ravaging his body, yet his faith did not waiver. I was/am so blown away. And with that, I think I’ll end this here…until next time. –Janel

Categories Students

Comments

Janel,
We are all so very proud of you. It sounds like you certainly have had your ups and downs, however, the ups are what defines you and your dedicated group and it’s the high points that will make a difference in the lives of the people you are caring for.
Smile, keep your head up, be proud of yourself for who you are and what you are accomplishing and know that we are all so very proud of you and love you much!
Be safe and come home soon!