VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

Oh my gosh, things like this should not be happening in 2007!
Today I went to a free clinic for the people who have no money to pay for medical care. The clinic runs from 8a to 5 p and offers pediatric well clinic, HIV screening & care, general medicine, social services, I’m not sure if psych services are offered here. There is no stay over or surgery facilities at this clinic. On a busy day this clinic will see upwards to 400 patients/day. Diabetes, hypertension, asthma, and arthritis seem to be the commonest ailments seen here, but anything can be seen walking through the doors. Today a young lady came in with tonsils at 3+ and lots of white exudate. (She was referred to the MD for antibiotics and probably surgery later). Another young lady returned with continued epigastric pain x 5 days, was given Mayogel (I guess like Mylanta) when she was last seen. Today she reports vomiting blood. There is no such thing as Nexium or Prilosec here at this clinic. She was given Tagamet, antacid, and some non aspirin pain reliever (she was taking her mother’s ASA for headaches). I asked if this patient would get referred for an endoscopy? Basically, no, the patients have no money to pay.

The well-baby clinic was vaccinating for polio today.
The VCT clinic (the area that screens and treats for HIV) was very busy.
There were also patients given a bowl of rice or cereal to eat. I’m not sure what qualified them for the meal, but I was told that at least these people will get one warm meal for the day.
But you know, even though these patients have to wait for hours and maybe days. They are so patient and polite. The Sister (i.e., nurse) stated most patients do return for BP checks, med refills, etc. She feels her patients are most compliant and ever so grateful for whatever you do for them. The staff is amazing. You know they have to be overworked, but they were so friendly to our visit and so willing to answer our questions. I don’t know if I just hit it on a “good” day; I can’t believe that this workload day after day wouldn’t wear one down. God Bless these workers!!! –Elayne

Categories Students

Comments

Dear Momma,
It breaks my heart as well to read what is still happening in todays world…my heart goes out to all the people you guys are helping!! I love you very much mommy and I miss you VERY much…and just a hint dad misses you too A LOT…talk to you later…your in my prayers!!
Love,
Boo Boo
XOXO