VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

Nationally
The U.S. will need more than 1.2 million new and replacement RNs by 2014. (http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/11/art5full.pdf”>U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, November 2005 Monthly Labor Review)

In Virginia
By 2020, Virginia is projected to have only 47,000 fulltime-equivalent RNs – a shortage of 22,600 nurses. Without increases in enrollments in nursing education programs, one in three patients will not have a nurse to care for them. (Condition of Nursing and Nursing Education in the Commonwealth, State Council for Higher Education for Virginia, January 2004)
Download fact sheet.

Categories News

Comments

Please inform me of the amount of time a perspective student will wait, before being accepted into the Nursing program, to start clinical rotations ?
Thank you
L.Porter

How about R.N. refresher courses and/or means for “used-to-be R.N.” to re-enter the profession. I have a BSN and active license and clean record; nobody will hire me because I haven’t worked in last 10 years. I hear that recruiters prefer new graduates; I hear that there is not money and resources to get me back in. What nursing shortage?