Dean's blog

Lyndon F. Cooper | School of Dentistry

Let me begin by wishing you and your families a happy and prosperous New Year. As we start 2022, we are faced with a great deal of uncertainty in our lives. If you are like me, if things are going well, I like to think of things to worry about, just in case. To name a few: What is going to happen with the COVID pandemic this year? What is going to happen here in the US, supply chains, cultural issues, elections, economy? The list is endless. And, not to mention, what is the new leadership of the SoD’s philosophy, and what changes will they make in my job, the SoD atmosphere
and the staff? Again, the list is endless.

So, I want to share a few ways to stay motivated and productive:

1. Celebrate the little things, focus on the positive. It is easy to focus on the negatives, however, when we
    focus on positives and are hopeful, it is much easier to stay motivated.
  2. Stay connected with family and friends. We are all together in this, all going through the same thing.
    Remain in contact, it always helps to both commiserate and connect.
  3. Set goals. If you have nothing to accomplish, guess what, that is exactly what you will accomplish.
    Exercise does wonders for my psyche. Small goals, short routines, minor changes are all achievable.
  4. Rediscover your motivations. Self-awareness is key. Do some soul searching, reach out to others and
    remember why you made the decisions you made in the first place.
  5. ACCEPTANCE. COVID is here to stay we need to learn to live with it, not try and conquer it. The
    digital revolution is reality–our lives, the way we work, they are all in the middle of a paradigm shift. Ann
    Landers said it best: “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength.
    However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.”

It is time to let go and just do it. Sometimes I am successful at practicing these ideas, other times I turn to
chocolate. Again, all the best to each of you.

Clara M. Spatafore D.D.S., M.S.
Interim Dean VCU School of Dentistry
Chair Department of Endodontics and Oral Diagnostic Sciences
Diplomate American Board of Endodontics

Categories Deans blog