Dean's blog

Lyndon F. Cooper | School of Dentistry

With much appreciation for his robust 47-year career in oral health and with my personal thanks for his friendship and guidance along the way, I am honored to pay tribute to Jim Burns.

While we already miss him here at school, I have no doubt that he and his family – wife Karen and four sons – will enjoy his well-deserved retirement.

Jim was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland. He received his bachelor’s degree in biology from VMI, his DDS degree from VCU, a master’s in education from the University of Southern California and a Ph.D. in microbiology and immunology from VCU. He completed his oral pathology residency at VCU as well.

His military career included a rotating dental internship at Letterman Army Hospital in San Francisco. He received the European Outstanding Clinician Award and was Assistant Dental Clinic Commander in Baumholder, Germany. He retired from the U.S. Army Dental Corps at the rank of major.

Please join me in expressing gratitude for Jim’s service to our students, to our faculty, to our staff and our friends.

Categories Deans blog
Tagged , , ,