Dean's blog

Lyndon F. Cooper | School of Dentistry

It’s been a busy time at the VCU SoD and it’s hard to believe the school year is halfway over.

Here are a few updates from around the School.

Patient experience is key for new clinics

Coming out of the ground at 10th and Leigh Streets is the new VCU Health Ambulatory Outpatient Clinic.

A new team of architects, space design, and work flow experts is working with us to make sure our patients’ experience is at the top of the planning list.

If you’re in the area, stop by the School and we’ll show you “the big hole in the ground” from which our new dental clinics will take shape.

At the moment, it looks like our Orthodontics and Faculty Practice clinics will move to the Perkinson Building while all others are making the move to Leigh Street.

Stay tuned for further updates and feel free to contact me at (804) 828-9184 should you have questions about our dental clinics in the new building or other matters related to the School.

Changing face of the MCV Campus

At the retirement announcement of the Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, which is now the College of Health Professions, I’ve been serving as chair of the search committee to fill that key role. It’s been a pleasure.

It’s also been a pleasure to see their own new building come out of the ground, which houses all of their programs under one roof for the first time in the school’s history.

Clearly, the face of the MCV Campus is changing and the School of Dentistry and College of Health Professions are proud to be a part of this evolution.

Meetings around the world and back

Fall is usually a busy time for me and 2018 was no exception. Between ADA and VDA meetings, and our relationships with like-minded dental education institutions in China and Kuwait, it seems like I’ve been around the world and back.

I serve as an alternate delegate for the ADA representing Virginia, specifically District 16, which is made up of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. I traveled to Myrtle Beach to attend the District 16 caucus, where the meeting went smoothly.

Soon after, I attended the ADA’s annual meeting in Hawaii then headed off to the Stomatological Hospital in Qingdao, China, where I presented the latest news in U.S. dental education.

During my visit to China.

This relationship is part of our International Educational Exchange program with oversight by Ms. Kim Isringhausen, assistant dean for community and collaborative partnerships.

Recently, I returned from a visit to Kuwait where many of our alumni are practicing excellent dentistry. Nearly 100 Kuwaiti students have walked these halls here at the dental school over the years in preparation for their careers in oral health.

Students get a taste of organized dentistry

At the 16th District caucus in Myrtle Beach, I was happy to take two of our students to that meeting.

Here’s what they had to say about that experience:

From Brittany Henderson, Class of 2019

“Attending the 16th District Caucus was such a positive experience. Each delegate was welcoming and extremely knowledgeable. It was great being able to participate in discussions about issues currently impacting dentistry. I especially enjoyed hearing speeches from this year’s ADA president-elects. Thank you for the opportunity.”

From Liara Vinson, Class of 2020

“The ADA’s 16th District Caucus was nothing short of incredible. Seeing the various minds come together on topics that affect the dental profession and its patients was largely inspiring. As an ASDA member, having this exposure incited me to think beyond just my career as a dental student. Moreover, hearing what some of the concerns are on a larger scale has certainly opened my eyes to the bigger picture of dentistry. The need for ASDA members to become official ADA members post-doc is of great importance. We are the future of dentistry, and our involvement in the ADA is not only welcomed – it is strongly encouraged. I truly appreciate the members of the 16th District for welcoming me to this meeting, and I look forward to attending many more – as an ADA member, in the future. Thank you so much for the opportunity to gain insight and exposure to something like this.”

Kirk Norbo, left, ADA 16th District trustee, with our students, Liara Vinson and Brittany Henderson, at the ADA meeting in Myrtle Beach. I was proud to be there with them.

Dental care where it’s needed most

Providing access to dental care is critical to overall good health and I couldn’t be more pleased to announce the opening of the Family Dental Clinic at the new Community Memorial Hospital in South Hill, Virginia.

For the past four years we’ve been working to create this new dental clinic and to see it as part of a collaborative medical environment is outstanding.

Our own Natasha Grover (D.D.S.’17/D) is the inaugural director of the dental clinic. Congratulations Dr. Grover. We couldn’t be more proud.

At the CMH Family Dental Clinic grand opening in Nov. 2018. Left to right, Dean David C. Sarrett; Scott Burnette, CMH CEO; Brenda Palmore, CMH VP of practice management and business development; and Dr. Natasha Grover, inaugural director of the dental clinic, VCU D.D.S. Class of 2017.

Recognition for stellar service

Congratulations to Margaret Poland, manager of research administration and industry relations, who was named the 2018 Dorris Douglas Budd Award winner at the annual VCU recognition and awards ceremony.

Margaret Poland accepts her well-deserved honor from VCU President Michael Rao.

Thank you for your service! We’re very proud.

Class notes?

Your career and your life is important to us. Please keep us up to date by submitting a class note. We’d like to hear from you. From this link, go to “Update Your Information” and tell us what’s been going on.

Richmond Marathon

It’s not unusual to see our faculty, staff and students out in the community doing great things. Many of them are athletic and sports fans. Congratulations to those who ran in the 2018 Richmond Marathon and Half-Marathon.

• Erica Brecher
  • Ronke Akinkugbe
  • Tegwyn Brickhouse
  • Janina Lewis
  • Claire James
  • Ross Blevin
  • Erin Block
  • Jacob Mirpanah
  • Oonagh Loughran

Warm wishes

As our calendar year comes to a close, I’m touched by the professionalism and dedication of our students, faculty and staff. Please enjoy your break and have wonderful holidays with those you hold close.

I know you’ll come back refreshed and ready for 2019.

Thank you for all that you do.

NOTE: For updates about openings and closings over the holidays, be sure to visit our website at dentistry.vcu.edu and check our Facebook page at VCU Dentistry.

Tune In

Don’t forget to tune in to my latest Vlog on YouTube: The Dental Fill-In where you’ll find more news from around the school, new building updates, and more. And if you’re not already subscribed to our YouTube Channel (dentistryatvcu) please do. You won’t want to miss a single video!

Student YouTube Stars

Speaking of our YouTube channel, I had the pleasure of chatting with many students as the school year hit the halfway mark. You can find those conversations on our YouTube channel, so tune in. See what they’ve been up to.

Categories Deans blog
Tagged , , , , ,