sun, square, heart drawn in pencil on white paper

My fifth grade students seemed to be somewhat nonchalant when it came to art class.  I wanted to write a lesson, then, that would expose them to more kinesthetic materials that they may not have worked with before.  Because I try to incorporate as many found materials as possible in my art-making and classroom, I decided to use recycled cardboard to make the printing plates.

The class participated in a discussion about the different things that might make someone happy.  Some students, as always, mentioned video games or youtube.  Many others, though, spoke about love and peace.  When working with elementary students I usually try to draw connections wherever possible, so I usually allow the students to think more loosely.  It can be difficult sometimes to teach students to think conceptually while learning a medium, so I err on the side of play when it comes to usage of materials.

The students drew out their own symbols for happiness, which they then drew onto the cardboard printing plate with sharpie.`

basketball, play button, football drawn in pencil on white paper

Then, they traced over their designs with a hot glue gun to create a raised surface.  I  explained that they had made a collagraph plate, which they will use to print their designs.

blue peace sign with design around it red smile face blue heart on white background

I made sure to seal the plates with a clear spray sealant to prevent moisture damage.  After the first class period, we discovered that the ink we had was too thin, so I decided to use acrylic paint instead, which worked out much better.

blue peace symbol on orange paper red peace symbol on white paper

Categories Fall 2019, Student Teacher Blog