For both of my placements I have created quilts. The materials I used for secondary are different but encouraged the same teamwork that a collaborative quilt calls for. With this project I brought it a ton of things that were going to get thrown away like magazines, outdated cookbooks, and old posters. I also had the help of the National Gallery of Art, who provided me with these quilt templates they had used for a quilting project. These came with pre-cut construction paper squares made to fit the tiles on the paper perfectly. Having this helped the kids a lot because they could use these squares as stencils to cut out the perfect square from magazines for their quilts. This project had them practice self control and focusing because there were bins all around the room that they could rummage through. It is a great project to talk about recycling, repurposing, collaboration, theme (in color, visuals, etc), and craftsmanship. towards the end the students wanted to make one huge class quilt. So I figured out a way they could be nicely tied together to create on giant quilt out of many mini quilts

Categories Spring 2018, Student Teacher Blog