School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

Featured photo

By James Irwin, University Public Affairs

Spring is here, which means it’s job season at Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU News spoke with students and recent graduates about their jobs and internships — and their career aspirations.

Candace Martin
Class of 2016, School of Social Work
Internship: Circles Ashland (summer 2016)
Job: Circles Ashland (January 2017)

Candace Martin. (Courtesy of Candace Martin)

Candace Martin was wrapping up her internship at Circles, a nonprofit organization that works to reduce poverty in Ashland and Hanover County in Virginia, when she was asked an important question by her executive director, David Cooper.

“[He] asked what my thoughts were about my next steps,” Martin said. “And I said I would like to spend more time [at Circles]. I was doing policy formation, I was at board meetings and had the ability to help shape programs. I wasn’t done and had a lot more I wanted to do.”

Cooper offered Martin a part-time job to stay at Circles. Four months later, he hired Martin full-time as the organization’s program director. Martin, who graduated in August with a concentration in social work administration, has been in her full-time role since January.

“For me this is a wonderful opportunity to get leadership experience at a small nonprofit, as opposed to being at a larger nonprofit where getting that leadership experience can be more challenging,” she said.

Securing that opportunity at a familiar place is beneficial, Martin said.

“It helps you build on the skills you’ve already started working on, and it allows you to continue doing that in a familiar environment,” she said. “If you have a great internship, the ability to potentially continue as an employee is really valuable.”

Read more.

Categories Alumni