School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

Dear community members:

Recently, Dr. Jim Hinterlong announced his intentions to step down as dean of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Social Work to accept a new role in the Office of the Provost to provide a critical academic focus to the implementation of two university initiatives — the new budget model and human resources redesign. While Dr. Hinterlong’s pursuits take him elsewhere, I have accepted the request by Dr. Gail Hackett, provost and vice president for academic affairs of VCU, to serve as interim dean of the VCU School of Social Work effective immediately.

I am excited about the opportunity to help guide the VCU School of Social Work in this time of transition. I came to the school in fall 2000. Shortly after receiving tenure in 2003, I was asked to step into my first administrative role at VCU as the director of field instruction, where I served for seven years. In 2007, in addition to directing field, I was asked to take on additional responsibilities as associate dean of research and community engagement. In 2012, I transitioned into university administration when the provost asked me to lead the newly established Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention in the Office of the Provost.

While I found serving as the vice provost to be tremendously rewarding, I am truly looking forward to rejoining the faculty, staff and students in the School of Social Work. The school has always remained steadfast in its mission to prepare professional social workers to engage our communities, to initiate difficult dialogues and to confront the social inequities of the day.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve as interim dean and believe the best has yet to come for the School of Social Work. We will continue to be the standard of excellence in social work education and strive to make a difference in our communities.

Please join me in thanking Dr. Hinterlong for his leadership in the School of Social Work.

Warmest regards,

Tim L. Davey, Ph.D.
Interim dean
School of Social Work
Virginia Commonwealth University

Categories Alumni, Community, Faculty and staff, Students